Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Interactive clearance analysis" - Why create a solid feature?

Genius
Genius

Hello, I'm working through the "Assembly Clearance" course in the Siemens "Learning Advantage" site and am not sure why something was done as it is.  When analyzing the interference between parts, a solid feature is generated to show the interference between parts.   Why is the interference between parts created as a solid feature?  What's the benefit of having that solid?  Is there a way that the solid would be used to actually fix the interference?  Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: "Interactive clearance analysis" - Why create a solid feature?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Subtract the interference solid from the part = no more interference. I've actually done this on occasion when the interference was small, time was tight, and the part was only being used for a 3d test print.

When fixing the interference for real, I'll sometimes keep the interference solid there for reference while I edit the part to eliminate the interference.

Genius
Genius

Hi @cowski1 ,  Thanks for the info.  That makes sense!  Good to know...  Smiley Happy

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
If the interference is complex, the interference volume can be used as reference / comparison when redesigning the interfering models. If it would be temporary graphics, it would disappear. Delete when finished.
And, you can , when doing quick fixes subtract that solid from one of the involved bodies.

The interfering body gets created in the work part if you use the "simple interference" option.
If you use the Clearance Analysis it will initially only do the highlighting but it has the "create interference body" as a right click option.
I think though that it creates the body in the displayed part and not work part.

Regards,
Tomas