Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Move object" - brick wall for rollback edits?

Creator
Creator

Hi all, would like some advice regarding the use of "move object." My goal is to be able to edit splines created early on in the part's history to slightly modify later surfaces. When I do this, it appears that all children of the original spline do update - until a point at which I moved one of those child curves. It seems that no edits can get past the use of this tool.

I imagine it may be related to the fact that I make a copy of the object, rather than moving the original. However, I'm forced to make a copy - when I try to move the original, NX goes berserk and tons of things disappear. Am I just using the tool wrong? Is it even the right tool to use? Mildly related - the moved object does not exist in my part navigator. This is less of an issue but part of my overall annoyance with the tool.

If someone knows how else I might be able to edit early splines and have the changes propagate throughout all my parts/surfaces, that would be a partial or full solution to this issue. I have looked a little into X-form and I-form to edit the surfaces themselves, but I've been having trouble getting the related surfaces to sew after even small changes.

Thanks! I can provide more info or pics if necessary.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: "Move object" - brick wall for rollback edits?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

This may be too late now, but in the "Move object" dialog, "Settings" block, did you check the "Associative" option?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Creator
Creator

Wow, I did not even have that checkbox visible. I'm guessing this would allow edits to the original to affect later curves? Does moving or copying the original make any difference? Definitely not too late, this will help so much in later iterations. Thank you!!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

i notice if you dont want to make an associative move and just want to move a feature, but later on that feature that you want to move is interacting with a associative linked body, if you try to move it will give you error, but if you "supress" the link you can move, then unsupress and obtain the wanted result; in earlier NX you could just move the feature and it would update now it blocks you from moving the object because is interacting (in further operations) with a link body,

why ? is my question; if the feature is non link dependent in tearms of position why i cant just move it and the next features just updates?

W10 - NX 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - MW - Journaling || vegetagaru @ engtips

Creator
Creator

Sorry, I tried this now and I'm still having trouble. If I check "associative," the move will only affect solid or sheet bodies, so my curve is unable to be moved. If I try to "move original," it forces me to check "move parents," which moves my coordinate system and my entire part, essentially making the move useless.

Making edits to splines and having the changes propogate down the model tree is basic NX functionality that we have been using for years. I guarantee that this can work.

However, I'm unsure what you are trying to accomplish with the move object command. The copy option will create a "non-timestamp" copy of the spline; you can double click on this to open the studio spline edit dialog - turning on the associative option will convert it to a spline feature (it will show up in the feature tree). But note that it does NOT need to be in the feature tree to associatively drive other geometry. Edits to the spline (whether it is a "feature" or not) will drive changes in geometry that references it.

If you explain in more detail what type of edit you are trying to accomplish, we can give more detailed advice. I have a feeling that "move object" is not the right tool for the job.

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the thorough response. I'll try to outline what I'm doing, and I've attached a photo of the end result of these operations.

1. Draw spline based on imported points (very small, not visible in photo)

2. Scale spline 4600x

3. Move spline from (1) 50mm to the right, scale 4500x

4. Move spline from (1) 100mm to the right, scale 4400x

5. End result: 3 identically-shaped splines nested within one another.

I want to be able to edit the spline in (1) and have the changes propagate to all three final splines. The scaled spline in (2) reflects changes, but not the subsequent splines (products of "move object"). I can go back and individually edit the moved curves in (3) and (4) to change the related scaled curves, but I want the changes to be identical among all 3 curves.

I hope that makes some sense, let me know if more photos or clarification would help.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi irios,

To provide the control you require may I suggest to use Sketch curves to define your surface input curves. The control is absolute where you can chose to keep the sketch very flexibe (initially not fully constrained – here not dimensioned). As your design evolves maybe your input curves will be more rigid and the requirements more precise (fully constrained – here fully dimensioned). If you first define a plane to define the sketch this can easily be used to move your entire sketch curve. Have a look to the attached movie file.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards

Fred

(view in My Videos)

Perhaps the scale curve command will give the result you want. The result can be associative to the input curve and you can keep the input curve. Choose carefully the point that you scale about and there will be no need to move the splines.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Irios,

Sorry I missed your process description. Attachade is a movie showing a sequence to fullfill your requirements.

Best Regards

Fred

(view in My Videos)