cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Shrinkwrap" external surfaces

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, Is there a way to create a light weight non-linked copy of external surfaces of an assembly or part? I want to be able to create an external representation of an assembly, but don't want to have all the internal features/parts.  I want to be able to share an assembly I'm working on to others in our group, but it to be small in file size.  Thanks

6 REPLIES

Re: "Shrinkwrap" external surfaces

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Did you try the JT export?

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was trying to keep it an NX file, so didn't think of that.  NX can import JT files, can't it?   I'm not sure if the people receiving the files will only want NX.  Thanks

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
JT is a Siemens format so every license can import/export JT files.
Also can JT files been opened with the Xpres review tool of NX.

When saving parts you can turn on the default save jt data option. so for parts this will happen automatically.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If you have an advanced assembly license, you might be able to make use of one or more of the following:

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I tried the Linked Assembly first, but couldn't find a way to break the link for a decreased file size.  I eventually went with the Simplified Assembly.  It wasn't quite a shrink wrap, but worked OK.  I haven't tried the wrap assembly yet.  Thanks for the info.