Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Through face does not intersect path of the tool"-Wind Blade Design

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi All, 

I am a graduate research assistant at Virginia Tech with 2 year NX experience. I have built a wind blade using swept and then sew the surface with bounded planes to create a solid body.

When I tried to unite the hub and the blade, a error message "Through face does not intersect path of the tool" poped up. I am not sure what is causing it since two body are intersected.

If there is solution to there issue or better ways to build a wind blade into solid body, please let me know. I really appreciate it.

I have attach the file in the below link. The curve is on layer 5. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bxg70f1h6c10sh/Airfoil_1.prt?dl=0

Thanks! 

6 REPLIES

Re: "Through face does not intersect path of the tool"-Wind Blade Design

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

When boolean operations do not work when they apparanetly should, the first thing to do is run "examine geometry" on the bodies and faces. Your blade solid has both body consistency and face self-intersection errors. When these are fixed, the unite will work.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi!

Thank you so much for your input. I have examined my curves and solid bodies built by two different features (Through Cruve/Swept)

The curves has no self-intersect error, but both two solid bodies has this issue. I do not know what is better way to construct a blade like this...any recommendation and help is really appreciate. 

Note that solids built by Through Cruve or Swept has different self-intersect line...

Please see the picture for details

Curve_Examine.JPGThrough_Curve_Examine.JPGSwept_Examine.JPG

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Here are my replies, and the working model, that I posted in this same thread on the  Eng-Tips board in response to the OP's post there:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=402291

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi John,

Yes, I receive the reply and successfully solve the issue based on your input. Thank you so much.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Note that I posted the link to the Eng-Tips forum more for the people here on the Community site so that they would be able to see, if they wished, the suggested solution I had already posted there.  I figured you'd see it, but perhaps not the rest of the people here.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Genius
Genius

I ran into this error before. https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Discussion-Forum/through-face-does-not-int...

You can try running the "Heal Geometry" command. Eventually, I had to remodel the part.