Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Through face does not intersect path of the tool" while subtracting

Creator
Creator

Hi everybody!
I need to subtract a body and get this error: "Through face does not intersect path of the tool"
Look at the part file attached. It's a very simple model.
Everything is fine until you change helix(1) end limit from 40mm to 45mm. Then subtract stops working.
I tried to play with tolerances but with no luck. It makes difference but in a quite random manner.
Can anybody help me to adjust tolerances and explain what I'm doing wrong?
Thank you.

2 REPLIES

Re: "Through face does not intersect path of the tool" while subtracting

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
It's possibly due to the inner surface of your helical tool body occupying the same space as the inner surface of your target body. See if you can adjust the sketch of your helical tool body to give it a smaller internal diameter than the target body, so you get a clear interference rather than a 'touching' interference between the two bodies. Also, your tool body is interfering with itself (edge to edge) which may also be causing you problems.
As an additional note, you could have created a single Swept feature for your tool body rather than sweeping each sketch curve, filling in the ends and sewing everything together. You might also want to turn on "Preserve Shape" in the Swept command.

Regards, Ben

Re: "Through face does not intersect path of the tool" while subtracting

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your reply. You are right. I just was not aware of "preserve shape" feature.

I've been advised to sweep sheets and then just "trim body" with it. Works like a charm.