Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recenter 3D model to origin

Genius
Genius

How do I recenter a 3d model to the origin of the coordinate system?

For example, I'd like to move a part so it's bottom face is at (0,0,0) I'm using NX 10

20 REPLIES

Re: recenter 3D model to origin

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

One way is to use the "move component" command. You can use the "point to point" option, pick a point on the face, then specify the destination point.

If the component is constrained to other components, it may not move (or other components may move with it). If it does not move, check to see if it (or another component that it is constrained to) has a "fixed" constraint on it.

Is it a component in an assembly or is it just the model file itself?

If the latter you have to look how it was created (part navigator) and if/as possible change there.

Although if it is a model, it may be easier to just create an assembly and put it where you want it.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Good point, Ken. I had just finished reading a thread about constraining components before reading this one, so I must still have been in an assembly/component mindset. Smiley Happy

Genius
Genius

Ken and cowski

Thanks for the great ideas! Both methods seem like they could work well.

I only have 1 part so opening it in an assembly seems like it would be the easiest solution.

Just out of curiosity, is there a recenter the part (bottom face to origin) in model mode?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

How is the part Built and or modeled?  Is the entire part constrained to a coordinate system that you could move?  If you move the base coordinate system will the part follow?

Genius
Genius

@sdeters wrote:

How is the part Built and or modeled?  Is the entire part constrained to a coordinate system that you could move?  If you move the base coordinate system will the part follow?

I'm not sure if the entire part is constrained to a coordinate system or how it was built. How can I view the base coordinate system of the part and move the base coordinate system?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

> Just out of curiosity, is there a recenter the part (bottom face to origin) in model mode?

I don't see how that command could possibly work.

You're telling the system that you want *some* point of the bottom face to be moved to the origin; but *which* point? If you don't care which point, I suppose the system could just pick one.

山田
yamada

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

In the part navigator there should be the first coordinate system.  Depending how things are done, if you move this base coordinate system the entire part should move. I guess what I am trying to say is to remodel the part in the correct position.  Using the move object in my mind is a quick fix.  Do remeber if you do move the part, the part will move in every assembly it is referenced in.

"Do remeber if you do move the part, the part will move in every assembly it is referenced in."

Unless the DOF's are locked down by assembly constraints.