Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refine a spline

Genius
Genius
I have a planar spline (brown) created in the early stage in my model. It has 3 segments. Now I want to refine it to one segment while keeping its original shape roughly.

I did the job like this: 
  1. create a new sketch
  2. project the original spline to the sketch (non-associative)
  3. edit the projection spline (blue/green) to 1 segment directly (here the original shape is lost)
  4. drag the poles of the projection spline (blue/green) to approach the original spline (brown).
Sometimes the last step is very painful when the original curve is complex (e.g. with 9 poles).

Hope to have your suggestions on a better workflow. Thanks!

a planar spline to be refined
Image.png

edit the projection spline to 1 segment directly
Image.png

drag for manual fitting
Image.png
6 REPLIES

Re: refine a spline

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Surfactant,

Use Extract Geometry and the option Composit Curve. Toggle on the Advanced Curve Fit option and set your options to Auto Fit to whatever degre you prefer and the number of segments.

Best Regards

Fred

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   Tremendously helpful. Thank you!

Siemens Legend

Hi Surfactant,

-------------------------------

I try to use Extract Geometry-Auto Fit method to refine a curve. The resulting curve is apparently out of the tolerance. But no alerting message shows up.

Do I miss something? Thanks!

[ADD: If Extract Geometry is set to associative, an alerting message "Some curves do not meet the specified tolerance." shows upon clicking OK. But after that no alerting sign appears on the Extract Geometry feature in Model History.]

-------------------------------

There seems to be a glitch here and the issue shoud be filed as and registerd with GTAC. Please file an issue with GTAC so they can have a closer look to it.

Best Regards

Fred

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   Sorry for the deleted post! The alerting message does appear for associative case. Thanks!

Siemens Legend

Hi Surfactant,

I do believe that there still is a glitch here. You recieve a warning during creation. There should also be a small consistent warning icon on the Composite Curve feature in the PNT when creating an out of tolerance Composit Curve - however I believe that doesnt show up untill supress/unsupress. A one time warning should also be issued while creating a non associative Composit Curve.

I urge you to please file an issue with GTAC.

Best Regards

Fred

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   OK. Thanks!