Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resources on aesthetic design cases

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I'm feeling a little frustrated with my current project. It seems that good understanding of NX functionalities is far from enough for manipulating those aesthetic elements.

Could you kindly recommend some resources or books dealing with cases of NX industrial design, especially aesthetic design? 

Thanks!
26 REPLIES

Re: resources on aesthetic design cases

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

On line courses

There are some online Learning Advantage self paced course.

Select Software: NX, Version: 11

Under CAD - Intermediate Applications  you will find Industrial Design with NX ( 7 courses)

Steve V

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @StevenVickers Thanks for the recommendation. Those courses seem to be dealing with software functionalities. I wonder whether there are case-based courses or resources. Thanks!

Phenom
Phenom
If it's a particular feature of a commonly designed product, you might find something on YouTube. Most of that will probably be automotive body surfacing but you might get lucky.....

More often that not, it's the technique/workflow of building the wireframe that leads to success on the surfacing side and what works in one software can often be duplicated in another or very close to it.

I understand you may require confidentiality, but if you could capture and share just a piece of what you're trying to do, some of us might be able to lead you down the right path.
-Tim

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @TimF

Yes. Building the wireframe is the central job in surfacing. I just post one of my issues in a separate thread. Thanks!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

As you say, getting the initial curves correct and of good quality is important.

A few important guidelines:

Sketch the problem you are trying to solve not the answer you are thinking about.

For example designing a pen holder I first sketch the pen floating above a plane representing the table, then sketch the maximum size it can be, then the key characteristic shapes.

In mechanical design would not draw the outside profile of a piston rod, just two circles and a line connecting them.  Then extrude with offset each of these, boolean, taper an blend until the answer delivers itself.

Use curves to create surfaces or curves to derive a combined curve but do not use derived curves to construct more curves. Go to surfaces when you can.

For example creating bulwark of a mega-yacht I create splines of side view and and of top view, combine then sweep a spline to create a surface along the combine.

Designing a shampoo bottle use splines to create 1x1 studio surface four times to create sides then style blend to round the corners.

Do not define your fillets in curves, build surfaces oversize an use surface blending commands near the end of design.

Steve V

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @StevenVickers   Thanks for the golden laws!

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

you can try your hand in using all those techniques that NX allows you by making a simple spoon....

Good luck Smiley Happy

spoon1.pngspoon2.pngspoon3.png

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @Cesare What you share is exactly the kind of case tutorial I need. If you can share its part file, I would be very appreciative. If it's confidential, no problem and I would try to figure it out myself once I get my current project done. Thanks!

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant

I'm very happy to attach you the file.
Here are some explanations.
The first part, the central one, is controlled by four Splines. The external profile is obtained by the Combined Curve Projection command. The points obtained by the Section Curve command are used to construct the two final splines. These spline are the Cross Curve of the Through Curve Mesh. Note that in this Through Curve Mesh I use the same curve as the first and last primary.
The second part, the 'dome', is made by 'automatic' curves like Bridge Curve, Isoparametric Curve and il is made so as to have four-sided patches.
Finally the third part, note as the lateral profile is controlled by the Curve on Surface, surface controlled by a Spline.
Also note how I preferred to mirror the construction curves instead of the surfaces.
The final Through Curve Mesh passes though five Bridge Curve, the first one has p375 and p376 parameters shared with the others.

Ciao