Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: resources on aesthetic design cases

Phenom
Phenom
@Cesare Thanks for attaching the spoon file.

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare Thank you so much for sharing the file and explaining the methodology! Happy holiday!

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare

I'm trying to understand your "spoon" part. I first suppress all the features and then unsuppress them one by one. But it seems that something is wrong. Do my operation disrupt the part? (My NX version is 11.0.2) Or is it simply due to NX12 you used to create the part?

I had planned to first hide all the features and then show them one by one. After I hided all the features in your "spoon file", to my supprise, showing some features would make certain later features showing forcefully! This is very odd. In my experience, in showing features, late ones would affect early ones, but early ones would not affect late ones. It's very confusing.

Thanks!

ScreenClip.png

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Best way to view how the part was built is to use the Feature Replay command. This you can use to run like a movie or step through each feature with a click.

The warning is saying that the feature was created in a more recent maintenance release of the software so may be using an improved calculation for the feature.

Steve V

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Ciao @surfactant as @StevenVickers says you must use the Features Replay command or alternatively Make Current Feature the first feature and then the followings.

I use NX 11.02.MP04 

Ciao

Genius
Genius

Hi @StevenVickers

Feature Replay is good for reviewing a part. But sometimes it seems to be more practical to hide/unhide this or that feature again and again to get better understanding of the modeling process.

And the part file is a big surprise for me, in which unhiding a feature may trigger a later feature unhiden unexpectedly. This seems to be contradictory to my previous observation.

Thank you so much for your help in the past year!

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare Thanks a lot for your further information!

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

you mistake hide/unhide feature for suppress/unsuppress features!!!!!

If you want to edit some feature make sure to use Edit with Rollback method.

Ciao

Unable to play video. Please try again later.
(view in My Videos)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Be careful on terminology here, between hide and suppress.

With NX it is important to understand the difference and relationship between features and graphical objects.

A feature can create (e.g. Block, Extrude) an object, or modify (e.g Blend, Hole) an object, or merge (e.g. Unite) objects. Features to graphical objects are not always a one to one relationship. A feature is the description of what to construct, a graphic objec is what has been constructed.

Suppress is removing (making it non active but not deleting) the feature from the model history. So suppressing a feature will require a recalculation of features after it and will end in a different shape for graphics objects.

Hide is making a graphical object not visible, the feature(s) that created it are still there active in the model history.

Steve V

Genius
Genius

Hi @StevenVickers   @Cesare

I did not confuse "Suppress" with "Hide". I can also understand "Features to graphical objects are not always a one to one relationship". Let me explain more. 

Generally, to review a sophiticated part, I prefer to use Hide/Unhide, which would NOT trigger recalculation as "Suppress/Unsuppress". First I hide all features and then unhide them one by one.

But, with the current spoon file, when an intermediate feature is unhiden, a later hiden feature would ALSO be unhiden automatically unexpectedly. In my previous experience, this seemed not be observed. This makes my previous Hide/Unhide workflow fail. Then I have no choice but to switch to the "Suppress/Unsuppress" workflow, althought it's very slow because every time unsuppressing a feature would trigger a recalculation process.

Thank you for your detailed explanation!