Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

routing library instance

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I was working on a piping model and until this morning everything was fine.

Then I open my model and some routing components are not opening.

message was "failed to find file using current search option, part left unloaded"

I have not changed any load options, and when I try to insert the same component again (and some others components) I get a message saying "Unable to establsih family instance p10330"

it seems like the problem is not for all components, but I can't find a logic behind this.

I'm looking in directory "C:\Users\poieri07\AppData\Local\Temp" and the parts that are there are open in my model are there, but obviously, the parts I'm having problem with are not there.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX12 user
14 REPLIES 14

Re: routing library instance

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @EricFerland,

• If you change your Load Options to use "As Saved" do the components load?
  • Is there any chance they were added to a temp directory that gets purged on a regular basis (or were any folders deleted or moved that may have these parts)?
  • Are you familiar with command line utilities?  ug_edit_part_names will list the path to these files that was last saved with the assembly when you use the "-list" switch.  I believe ugpc does something similar.  This will help you identify where the components were last read from when the assembly was last saved.

If you're unable to locate the components your options are:

1. Close the assembly and create the member in a temp assembly.  Open the problem assembly and see if the member component loads.
  2. Delete the member from the problem assembly and recreate it.

I found one PR which stated that a similar issue was fixed in NX12.

Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi BenBroad,

I did everything you wrote, even creating another dummy assembly, and it did not work.

The folder where those parts are saved contains older files, so it was not purged, but that was a good point.

What I finally did is remove the problem components from the assembly, saved, exit NX, and then I went back and I was able to insert them again and they were saved it the usual directory. Fortunately, I had only a few to re-insert.

Unfortunalety, I'm not really familiar with command lines; is it the cmd.exe?

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX12 user

Unfortunalety, I'm not really familiar with command lines; is it the cmd.exe?

Yes.  You get to the command prompt from Windows by selecting "Start > All Programs > Siemens NX 10.0 > NX Tools > Command Prompt".  Once the command window has opened you can execute your utilities as demonstrated below (there is audio):

(view in My Videos)

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

This is very helpfull!

But since I deleted them and re-inserted them, they show now in the right directory.

I will keep that for the futur cases

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX12 user

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi All,

Problem is back so I did the "ugpc" command to know where the missing parts were saved the last time, and it shows the good directory, but it seems the parts just dissapeared form that directory.

Any way to fix this except from deleting all the files in the assembly and re-inserting them??

(This is the only way I found to fix the proplem, but it takes a lot of time)

I'm getting really frustrated wiht this recuring problem, makes me lose a lot of time.

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX12 user
Highlighted

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Do you back up your directories?

Can you use Windows commands to find out where the files went?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

My guess is you have a utility that's cleaning up temporary directories.  I can reproduce the behavior you've reported in NX 10.  If NX has already attempted to load a member into the session, and the part file is actually missing from where the part family member would otherwise create that part, attempting to re-insert that member raises the "Unable to establish family instance xxxx.prt" message.  This was actually reported as a regression (PR 7792871) against NX 10 and NX 11 (it worked in NX 9.0.3).  The problem was fixed in NX 12, and I've verified that you can now create the member.

Your options are:

• Indentify why your files are getting deleted - cleanup utility?  I still wonder why this only affects some parts and not others.
  • Don't save files in temporary directories Smiley Happy
  • Set the variable UGII_ROUTING_MEMBER_SAVE_DIR to save your files to a specific directory.  This will save all routing part family member files in a specific directory.
  • Open each routing part family part, open the Part Families dialog and edit the Family Save Directory.   This would allow you to define specific directories for each family for each routing application.
  • File > Save > Save Options: Edit the path in the Part Families Member Directory (temporary).  This will save all family member files, not just routing family member, to a specific directory.
  • Customer Defaults > Gateway > General > Directories (tab) > Part File Directory.  This be a more permanent solution to editing the Save Options each session.

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

Unfortunately this is not the case because not all the fittings dissapeared, but only a few.

Also, I looked in the directory, and there are still older files there.

I will definately try saving them in another directory for sure.

(I have nothing to lose)

your advice are greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX12 user

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I can't find the variable UGII_ROUTING_MEMBER_SAVE_DIR 

do I need to create it?

I'm sorry but I'm not too familiar with environment variable.

Thank you for your reply

Eric Ferland
NX12 user