Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

section control in swept

Creator
Creator

Hi,

I am new to NX.  I have been using CREO/Pro-E for years and recently just got NX 10.  I have attached a word.doc that illustrates my qustion.  In Creo in the variable section sweep tool you can modify the individual dimensions of a section with a formula or something like a law curve.  I always found this to be very powerful and wondered if there was something similar in NX.  I understand that the area or the perimeter of a section can be controlled by a law curve but what about just one dimension in that section?  For example, in the attached picture you could control the .5 dimension with a law curve as it sweeps around the path(circle).  This is how you could make a cam for example. Can you control one dimension like that and if not is there another way?

23 REPLIES

Re: section control in swept

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Creator
Creator

Thank you for responding to my question.  I read that discussion and opened up your part.  I like how you were able to offset that curver based on the other law curver.  I guess my question is can you modify individual dimensions in a section with a law curver or formula.  For example, the feature that you created with the swept had its sectrio controlled with a law curver that affected the perimeter.  Therefore the whole feature was symetric about the x-y plane.  But what if you wanted to have one side of the rectangluar cross section be controlled by a law cure or formula and have another side of the rectangle controlled by a different law curve or function.  Also, maybe I need the variational sweep which I am okay with.  

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

That wasn't my part, the credit should go to @Johannes_H

I've not tried it, but I imagine that you could break the shape into two sweeps, each controlled by its own law curve.

Creator
Creator

Could this also be done in a variational sweep.  I know you can keep adding sections to a variational sweep and change the dimensions in each seciton.  Could you vary one of those dimensions with a formula that acts on that dimension over the whole guide curve?

Creator
Creator

The word document that I have attached are example that I am referring to.  There may be a better way to do these in NX that I am not aware of, and I am totally open to that.

Genius
Genius

attached there is a variational sweep in which the dimension of the section is determined

by a formula that acts over the guide curve.

I hope this answers your question as I understand it, please post a part example if this is not

the case.

Genius
Genius

oops ... forgot the attachment :-)

Creator
Creator

This is pretty much what I was trying to do.  Thank you for taking the time to answer.  I am guessing that if you had a rectangle you could vary each side of the rectangle with an expression as it varies over the guide.  My last question would be if you can vary a dimension with a curve.  Similiar to the cam in the word document that I attached.  If not then I guess you could just vary the cross section with the guide curve.  Thanks again.

Genius
Genius

yes, you can change each side of a rectangle (see attachment).

As far as I know, there seems to be no easy way to get a parameter (i.e. a dimension) out of a curve (unless concocting some complicated sketch with measurement, which is not worth).

So, I think you have to resort to some sort of curve (a couple examples in attachment).