Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selection "Tangent Curves" fails

Genius
Genius
Below is a simplified model:

• There had been a sharp edge on the strip.
  • Face Blend was used to blend the sharp edge with various radius from 0 to 2, with "Trim Body to Blend" unchecked.
  • The strip was then trimmed with the two edges of the blend.
  • Bridge Surface was use to bridge the gap with G2 continuity.
My problem:
  • In Thru Curve Mesh, with "Tangent Curves" checked, the edge can't be selected with one click.

Why? Thanks!

Image.png

Image.png

12 REPLIES

Re: selection "Tangent Curves" fails

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The bridge "surface" is curvature continuous in that if you create a section perpendicular anywhere along the joining edge it will show a smooth transition. However the side "edge" of the bridge does not by default stop and run smooth to the side edges of the input faces. in this case it is more than a degree sharp.

Usually to get the bridge side edges smooth you would change the Flow Direction to Iso Parametric, forcing the isocurves of of the bridge to match the isocurves of the input faces and thus the side edges will be smooth  (assuming natural trimmed surface). In this case you cannot do that as the surface goes to a point.

The best solution in this case is to forget the trim and bridge features. Edit the Blend to Shape - Curvature and change to trim and sew.

Steve V

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

as you can see from the attached image, the edge of the surface is not on the same plane as the other edges. Trim the Bridge Surface with the datum and then everything works.

Ciao

datum.png

edge.png

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

WARNING!!!!

my solution works only if the surface exceeds the other edge.

This is not the correct way to work, it becomes a workaround when do not have other solutions.

The correct way is the one that @StevenVickers explained you.

Ciao

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare    Thanks for your solution!

Hi @StevenVickers   Thanks for making me understand "Bridge Surface" much better!

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

Typically if you can apply a blend feature, use the Trim & Attach All options on the more complicated blends rather than adding additional features, as @StevenVickers stated. Also keep in mind Edge Blend can give G2 results now as well, though I cannot vouch for the quality of the resulting blend surface.
-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF

It seems that both Edge and Face Blend are highly flexible alternative tools of surfacing. Thanks for your comments!

Genius
Genius
I have another example. The round tube shown is created as four quarters by Swept.

Although Swept creation of one quarter here has no continuity settings, I think that the four quarters should be tangent with each other. Reflection also supports it. But seletion Tangent Curves fails.

Hope to have your comments. Thanks!

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Not sure why the tangent select is not working with the through curve command, but if you manually select the function takes the edges as tangent, they appear clean enough edges.

Interestingly tangent select works in other functions such as fill surface.

Steve V

Genius
Genius

Hi @StevenVickers     Thanks for checking it!

Your check helps me to make sure that my understanding of the tangency betwen Swept faces is OK.