Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sketch plane offset is not a parameter?

Genius
Genius
I attempt to use the sketcher to create a point in a datum CSYS.

I expect to put Delta_Z of the point as the sketch plane offset from ZC-plane of "S1.1_csys".

To my surprise, the offset of the sketch plane is not listed as a parameter of the sketch.

Do I miss something? Thanks!

Image.png

Image.png
7 REPLIES 7

Re: sketch plane offset is not a parameter?

Genius
Genius
I find that the offset is created as a parameter in the expression editor.

Why is it not listed in the Details tab of the sketch?

Image.png

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Did the sketch create an intermediate datums CSYS (that then got hidden)?

Right-click on the sketch *feature* -> is there a menu item "Make Datums External"? - if so, select that.

Then examine the datum CSYS that shows up

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

I would expect the offset parameter to belong to the datum plane and not the sketch itself. The planar object that you sketch on is technically not part of the sketch. The sketch dialog helpfully allows you to specify or create a plane for the sketch, but the plane object must exist before the sketch in the feature tree; the plane will be a parent of the sketch. Making the datum "internal" to the sketch hides this relationship (not a good thing, IMHO).

Genius
Genius

Hi @Ken_A @cowski1   Thank you for your comments!

I know that a sketch can  be "internal" or "external" to an Extrude or Revolve feature. To speak frankly, this is the first time I know that a datum can be "internal" or "external" to a sketch. In my understanding what you mean by "internal" or "external"  is about the behind-the-scence mechanism, but not about real operation?  And I never see a menu item "Make Datums External". 

Highlighted

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Ken "Railroad" Akerboom is right in that an offset from a Sketch plane is really a parameter of the plane and not the Sketch. In NX, Sketches are strictly 2D features and therefore, while working with any Sketch, Z is always 0. Hopefully you realize that in NX, a Sketch is completely unnecessary for creating a simple point. Just use the Point command and define the object using ABS coordinate values or an Offset Option in the Offset group of the Point dialog. Sometimes I rue the day Pro/E came out with sketching.

"And I never see a menu item "Make Datums External"."

Sorry, I'm still on NX 9 at the moment and my answer referenced functionality in that version. There were changes in either NX 10 or 11 that may make that particular part of my answer obsolete.

Genius
Genius

Hi @kochg   Thank you for your comments! As to why I create a point with sketch, please refer to the two previous threads: create a point in a datum CSYS associatively and offset in a datum CSYS associatively.

Hi @cowski1   Thank you for your help!