Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stent design

Experimenter
Experimenter

How do I design a stent using NX 8? I have done numerous researcg but I cant find a way to start. I am bew to NX.

6 REPLIES

Re: stent design

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I know there are several types of design for a stent but here is a simple example.  I know nothing about the requirements for stents so.... no fair laughing. 

I just created a Right Hand and a Left Hand helix curve using a fractional number of turns and a long pitch.  Then I took the curves and copied them around the central axis.

Stent.gif

These are only curves so you would need to use the "tube" or "Sweep" command to show the material.

This could also be done with a law curve or even a swept surface using the "Angle Law" orientation method.  There are probably other methods also.

Welcome to the site!

Al

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank you. I am new to this so a video would help if you can please.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Creator
Creator

Hello again,

I am not certain how much a video would help.  We have NX 7.5 and NX 9 but do not have NX8 so following a video may be more confusing than just a few steps that I will try to provide.

If you are just making a drawing, this method will likely work for a simple stent.  If you need to show a stent in an artery, you will need to use the sweep surface method where your can use a spline as a center path and "Angle Law" to control the twist of the helix.

Here are a few more details to get you going... (top view on the left, TFR-TRI on the right)

Insert -> Curve -> Helix

In the dialog, I told the system to create a RH helix with 1/4 of a coil (turn), a Pitch of 96mm and a radius of 4mm.

Stent1.gif

Then I created a second helix with a LH turn direction

Stent2.gif

Then I used...

Edit -> Move Object and selected the two helix curves.

In the Move Dialog, I set the Motion to Angle, specify vector = ZC and 0,0,0 as the axis point.

- angle=10 (the amount of each copy.

- Result = Copy Original

- Distance/Angle Divisions =1 (in 10 degrees I only want one set of the curves)

- Number of Unassociative Copies =36 (36 x 10 = 360)

Stent3.gif

Then just choose OK...

Stent4.gif

Good Luck,

Al

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank you again. I just completed it and it was fairly simple. How about designing cook medical zenith fenestrated stent? What approach do I need to take?

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I tried to do a posting yesterday but it did not happen.  This is how I would approach the graft style stents.

- create a cylinder the size of the artery

- create a datum plane tangent to the cylinder

- create one "v" of the wire.

graft_stint1.gif

- rotate his shape (or array it) around they cylinder

graft_stint2.gif

- these curves are planer so if you need them on the surface, use the wrap command.

graft_stint4.gif

Enjoy

Al

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank you. I will try it today and let you know.