Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

styled holes in Realize Shape/freeform holes?

Genius
Genius

I'm developing some new cooling hole concepts and I am exploring some of the options available in NX11.

The Realize Shape Module has a command called "Tube Cage" that does exactly what I need but I am dealing with a solid body.

Are there any other freeform modeling features that would be similar? With Convergent Modeling, is there (or will there) be way to convert solid models into a subdivision body? 

3 REPLIES

Re: styled holes in Realize Shape/freeform holes?

Phenom
Phenom

I do not believe the resulting bodies are geometrically different.  You should be able to model a body in Realize Shape and use that body as a tool to perform a Boolean or trim on another body created with the more typically used Modeling commands.

For example, if you're dealing with cooling channels in a mold, you could get the base mold design completed and then model the cooling channels in Realize Shape and subtract the channels from the mold, just as if you'd created a solid body representing the channels without using Realize Shape (Tube, Cylinder, etc., etc.).

Realize NX9.pngA Realize Shape edited Cylinder subtracted from a Block feature.

I hope that makes some sense...

I cannot speculate what Siemens may or may not do in regards to being able to convert just any model into something that can be manipulated in Realize Shape

-Tim

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Create a normal hole and use x-form

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Genius
Genius
Thanks! Both methods work