Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

styled holes in Realize Shape/freeform holes?

Genius
Genius

I'm developing some new cooling hole concepts and I am exploring some of the options available in NX11.

The Realize Shape Module has a command called "Tube Cage" that does exactly what I need but I am dealing with a solid body.

Are there any other freeform modeling features that would be similar? With Convergent Modeling, is there (or will there) be way to convert solid models into a subdivision body? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: styled holes in Realize Shape/freeform holes?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I do not believe the resulting bodies are geometrically different.  You should be able to model a body in Realize Shape and use that body as a tool to perform a Boolean or trim on another body created with the more typically used Modeling commands.

For example, if you're dealing with cooling channels in a mold, you could get the base mold design completed and then model the cooling channels in Realize Shape and subtract the channels from the mold, just as if you'd created a solid body representing the channels without using Realize Shape (Tube, Cylinder, etc., etc.).

Realize NX9.pngA Realize Shape edited Cylinder subtracted from a Block feature.

I hope that makes some sense...

I cannot speculate what Siemens may or may not do in regards to being able to convert just any model into something that can be manipulated in Realize Shape

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Create a normal hole and use x-form

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Genius
Genius
Thanks! Both methods work