Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surfacing fails by curve on surface

Genius
Genius
The example below presents a simplified issue in my real modeling.

The key objects are the two arbitrary curves on surface (Through Curves).

• Constraints are G1 continuity with the two upright planes.
  • No constraints with the Through Curves surface.

I can't understand why they make Thru Curve Mesh fail. Hope to have your help. Thanks!

Image.png
19 REPLIES

Re: surfacing fails by curve on surface

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

look here :-)

Ciao

TCM.PNG

Trim Sheet I added, using Curve On Surfaces and Through Curves.

During Single Curve selection I use the Filter STOP AT INTERSECTION.

Thanks,

Mathi K

Thanks and Regards,
Mathi Krishnan.

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare @MATHI_CAX_TRG 

Thank you both for the unimaginable solutions!

I thought I knew enough about Through Curve Mesh. Now I know I was wrong.

Please forgive me to ask for too much. Could you kindly give some clues about why they work?

@Cesare's solution

Image.png

@MATHI_CAX_TRG's solution

Image.png

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

the four Curve on Surface are used to obtain tangency boundary conditions for yours two Curves on Surface. So the TCM G1 works.

Ciao

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare  Thanks!

Since the Through Curves surface is tangent to the two upright planes, the two curves on the surface, either with G1 constraint or not, should be always tangent to the planes. Additional boundary constraints seem to be unnecessary, as in @MATHI_CAX_TRG's solution, in which the two curves on surface are replaced with two trimmed edges.

Phenom
Phenom

@surfactant,

What exactly is your intent of creating a surface on top of a surface that has the exact same continuity? The Through Curve Mesh is redundant, isn't it?

Most methods would stop at using the Curves On Surface as boundaries for Trimming the Through Curves surface, not to create another surface on top of another.

I didn't have to add any additional steps to the Curves On Surface to get the TCM to work. I set the Surface Constraint Direction to Isoparametric then I picked the first COS point on one planar surface and assigned G1, picked the second point on the TC surface then the last point on the 2nd planar surface and assigned G1. When I adjusted the start and ends of the COS, I made sure to drag them towards the planar surfaces such that they were lying on the edge of the TC.

-Tim

Phenom
Phenom

@surfactant,

A movie to show what I was describing in my last paragraph.

-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   I just see your video. Thanks!

In my modeling,

• I have a Curve A on a surface A and a Edge B on a surface B.
  • I need to build a surface starting from Edge B to Curve A,
  • while keeping it G1 continuous with surrounding surfaces.

I found that the failed surfacing with TCM is due to Curve A and reproduce the issue in a simplified model.

Your solution adds additonal contraints to and modifies my two curves on surface. In @MATHI_CAX_TRG's solution, my two curves on surface are simply replaced with two trimmed edges and then TCM works. The edges are in fact shapes copies of my curves. Therefore my curves are kept intact. I don't know why that works.

Attached is a part file by @MATHI_CAX_TRG's solution.

Phenom
Phenom

@surfactant,

I couldn't use your original curves because I'm using 11.0.1 and get a warning about features being in the future when I edit them. To edit them, I have to move the endpoints and I knew you didn't want that either. The method was what was important....additional features aren't necessary to get the same result you were seeking - that was the point.

Again, the difference between just trimming the TC surface and creating a new TCM is zero in most cases.

Also, the INPUT curves for the TCM MUST HAVE G1 built into them and your COS's DID NOT - that's why the ECM fails.

-Tim