Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: surfacing issues

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thanks for your long reply!

I have to question why even go for G2 if you're going to leave all the imperfections near the original splines....doesn't really make sense IMO.

Since this is only part of a larger model, it's quite difficult to solve these issues because I'm sure the surrounding areas will more than likely impact the look and shape of this area.

Very good suggestion. Let me go back to improve all those surrounding objects first.

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   Thanks for your very practical advice!

Cutting things down to smaller size/chunks might work locally but it does not really cure the core issue.

Yes. Now I am aware of this issue. 

You have been working with NX for 8 month and are already working with creating styling surfaces that most designers/styling people have years of experience to perform – regardless software.

The styling job seems to be unique and completely different from other fields, requiring not only knowledge but also experience. I have some professional training. But as you know, if you don't have enough practical experience, what you can learn from those courses is very limited. You are absolutely right, to be a qualified surfacing worker need absolutely enough experience.

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Surfactant,

You hit the head of the nail with the learning from others - especially within the field of styling. It is specific and not necessarily always straight forward from so many perspectives also besides software. As styling is often the heart and soul of the company where the company specific characteristic to products are set, it is often a very “shy” part of companies. However bringing in experts from outside will give you invaluable advice and help you to optimize your work. I still advice you to contact your Siemens representative to maybe set up something onsite, doesn’t have to be just training, and in that way give you more of “hands on” help and advice as you already have the feature/function training. Don’t hesitate to contact me if there is something that I can do to help arranging something.

….and still keep up the good work there ;-)

Best Regards
Fred

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   Thanks a lot for your kindly offer of help!

Legend
Legend

Please see attached image, is it ok?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, I have tried to construct your Surface with G2 continuity. First of all I created simplified constraint surface - snip from untrimmed surface and then simplify. In the bad direction you can get 18 patches instead of about 40 in the original, with tolerance 0.01 mm. Second - the shape is too curvy to let the algorithm to create the surface only from side curves and two constraint faces. The tangency direction along the two longer sides is also important, because you will need to create the opposite surface too. So I created tangency surfaces along those edges and also some additional sections. The result in attached file (NX11) is, I belive, a bit near to what you want.

Regards, pajir

Genius
Genius

Hi @pajir   Thanks for your three solutions with all the steps! I do learn a lot from them!