Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surfacing with Studio Surface

Genius
Genius

I ran into trouble with Studio Surface --- no frustrating warning message, but low quality surface.

I attempted to add some internal control curves, but failed to get a quality surface. The root cause seems to be the 3-segment edge with a straight line segment.

Hope to have your help. Thanks!

Image.png     Image.png

11 REPLIES

Re: surfacing with Studio Surface

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant,

set in the Output Surface Option > Alignment > Arc Length

Ciao

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare   If Alignment is set to Arc Length, the resulting surface would be with huge amount of patches. I wonder whether a quality surface can be achieved by optimizing the boundary curves. Thanks!

Phenom
Phenom

@surfactant,

You would help yourself by making the shorter curve string in 3 pieces, matching the opposite end.  You can use the existing edges of the Studio Surface to split the shorter curve into those 3 pieces.

Once again, you seem to be trying to force a large surface through guides that are ~18 inches and ~3 feet long.  You need to add more sections and build the surfaces in smaller pieces.

This one will be difficult because you're going from flat to curved in the middle and from inside to outside radii on the shorter, inside area.

-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Please kindly have a look at my efforts.

1. Making the shorter curve string in 3 pieces:

Image.png

2. Adding an internal control courve:

Image.png

Thanks!

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

I'm not a fan of using Sketcher for single splines - you will get better results with just a Studio Spline or a Bridge Curve, with more and simpler control over the shape, in my opinion.

I think you need to look at the curvature combs of the 2 long guide curves - they vary quite a bit and are going to cause issues because the long, outside curve is flatter than the shorter inside curve. This is probably what leads to the pooling showing up in the reflection analysis. The added control curves aren't helping you - you just took an iso curve from a so-so surface and threw it in there - how is that going to change or improve anything? You need to edit that curve to affect the resulting surface. If you just use what was there, that's more or less garbage in, garbage out.

I also feel you're tying your hands by trying to keep every curve feature based (associative or parametric). You don't have to do this all of the time and you're going to find it's not necessary if you know how to utilize NX's curve editing, particularly with splines. This type of surfacing doesn't lend itself to that sort of modeling.
-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF  Thanks for your comments!

To be honest I rely on sketcher heavily. I always try to constrain every pole of the splines in sketch and then feel comfortable. Sometimes I use Bridge Curve, but I never use Studio Spline outside sketcher. To handle all kinds of curves, inside the sketcher I feel everything under control, and outside the sketcher I feel almost lost. I'm not sure whether this is typical for newbies. But I am absolutely sure that your adivce is based on your long experience. I would keep it in my mind to improve my practice.

As to the surfacing case, I would try to improve the guides as you suggested. And the control curve was no extracted from a so-so surface, but created carefully with two ends extracted from an isoparametric curve to make sure both ends matching in % parameter.

Thanks again!

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF

I just read your comments again and again and tried to improve the model. The result is much better. I begin to understand each of your points is critical for final success:

1. For a large surface through long guides, "You need to add more sections and build the surfaces in smaller pieces." --- Patch by patch!

2. "You need to edit that curve to affect the resulting surface." --- Fine-tuning the control curves!

Thank you!

Image.png

Phenom
Phenom
Better, but see where the reflection lines are oval? That's a slight dip or rise in the surface. That is probably going to be the hardest area to smooth out. Additional cross sections close to that area might be needed - but I tend to think it's the guide curves lending more towards that than anything - they are so sharp in the corners on that side compared to the opposite side.

You can also change the resolution of the Reflection Analysis - I'd use at least Fine, even up to Ultra Fine. That will give you a smoother reflection on the surfaces.

Not bad, but needs more refinement if you're shooting for Class A (again, that wasn't defined in the original posting).
-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thanks for your suggestions on further improvement! And also for the trick of changing the resolution of the Reflection Analysis. Since long I have been wondering why my reflection pictures are so ugly and those uploaded by others in this forum are clean and beautiful. Thank you!