Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sweep only to get a boundary curve

Genius
Genius

Sometimes in my models, Swept is used only to generate a boundary curve for Studio Surface.

Here is an example:

1. "Guide" is projected to ZC to create "Guide_project".

2. "Section" is extruded along Y to create "Section_extrude".

3. "tempSweep" is created with ... only to get "myBoundary".

• "Section"
  • "Guide"
  • "Guide_project"

4. "myFACE" is created with ....

• "Section_extrude"
  • "Guide"
  • "myBoundary"

Is there a more straightforward way to create "myFACE"? Thanks!

Image.png

4 REPLIES 4

Re: sweep only to get a boundary curve

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@surfactant,

If you're modeling a single face, sure - when done, extract the isoparms and recreate without all the additional features - but I'm pretty sure you won't like doing it that way since you feel you need to have all this extra fat in your models for the sake of calling it parameterized or associative.

If there's more to it, I hesitate to offer a suggestion as I have no clue what will be around this single surface. I don't see the need of creating a composite curve when there's an edge sitting there waiting to be used but that's just a possible tolerance stack up due to the addition of the composite curve - not a major issue, really - but not completely necessary either since the Swept is already there with 4 edges waiting to be used.

Also, I'd project onto the XY plane of the Datum CSYS - when it moves, the projection would move (if the Datum CSYS is relative in that manner).
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you so much for all your comments! Very helpful!

Yes, it's a starting patch for a bigger geometry and I try to build it in an associative way. Your comments made me realize that a composite curve is unnecessary. Yes, I should directly use the edge.

One thing, that I'm not confident of, is the way of using Swept. I often try to use Swept to build an extra surface only to get a buondary curve. I always wonder whether it's a proper use of Swept.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@surfactant,

IMO, it's no different than using that Extrude in order to build the continuity you desire at the one end. You need something there unless you're OK with a 1x1 Studio Surface.

Regarding the first paragraph of my initial response - once you have the surface locked down (it's frozen and not going to change) the underlying geometry driving it is of no real practical use - you can lighten things up by extracting the iso curves (they don't have to be associative at that point) and make a 3x3 or 4x4 (whichever leads to matching the current surface the best).

When I designed a different automotive product, I received surfaces that were originally done in Alias and were translated into NX - I never worried about making the truly freeform slabs fully parametric - those shapes usually weren't going to change that much. Now, if I had something that was like a line Extruded with draft - well, that was different (IMO) - in that case I might Sketch that line to be able to change quickly it if necessary or if it was going to be detailed on a drawing for some reason.  The organic surfaces (like yours above) took too much time to build fully parametric so I took the shortcut and then would use the Shape Studio tools to move it and shape it if it needed to change from the original form. The parameters weren't as important for the organic surfaces since they weren't going to be detailed on a drawing (showing the cross section).

Again, that was just how I chose to handle that particular product and those types of surfaces - not everyone will agree that it's the best solution.  But at one time, I was very much like you and wanted full control over everything - I had to learn to let go of that when it came to the complicated surfaces once they were out of the development stages and frozen (found acceptable, visually OK, etc.).

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for more comments and sharing your practice! I would bear all of them in mind to improve my workflow. The job is really not easy. Thank you for your help!