Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sweeping command help

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding how to sweep. I attached a picture of what is happening. Basically, I am sweeping from a circle to a smaller circle, using a line as the guide.

From what I see, the "starting point" of the big circle and the small circle does not match, but I don't really know how to change it.

Please let me know if anyone knows how to fix this.

Thanks,

Andy Chen

5 REPLIES

Re: sweeping command help

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

First off, double-click the 'arrow' on ONE of the circles.  If the shape of the object is still not quite right, try going to the 'Section Options' section of the dialog and change the 'Alignment' option to 'By Points'.  If things still don't line-up preferctly simply drag the 'point' on one of the arcs until it lines-up with the point on the other circle (they will be connected by a 'line' so that you know which points are related to each other).

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Phenom
Phenom

Unless this is a simple case.

A revolve or an extrude with taper would require less sketches & features.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for your help John. The alignment by points worked out. I was wondering why NX would default to where the points are on the opposite sides of each other, causing the weird sweep.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for your suggestion agrivas. I am familiar with doing a revolve or a tapered extrude. While this is a simple case, I wanted to play around with a sweep for a simple case as a practice.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@andchen90 wrote:

Thank you for your help John. The alignment by points worked out. I was wondering why NX would default to where the points are on the opposite sides of each other, causing the weird sweep.

By default, NX uses the curve start point. For a full circle, the start point is where the creation csys X axis intersects the circle.

As an alternative to using the 'align by points' option (which I can never seem to get perfectly aligned); I'll often split the circles into two or more segments. By carefully choosing the split location, the alignment is taken care of. Splitting the circle into multiple arcs is also useful if you need to transition to a different shape, such as a transition from circle to square.