cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

swept section along a spiral

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I want to swept a section along a spiral but no point of the section is touching the spiral. I try to align with a vector but I cant achieve a totally cylindrical external face. What am I doing wrong?

6 REPLIES

Re: swept section along a spiral

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hello,

use "preserve shape" to keep it cylindrical.

Swept_preserve.JPG

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you Andre, 

I thought it was not working because the substract operation I did afterwards didnt work but the problem must be other. Any idea?

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hello,

I think you got an issue with the tolerances in your features - in some of them you work with 0.01 and 0.5 angular.

Try to lower them to 0.001 and 0.1

But it works also in your part. Split the two extrude in the middle. Make the boolean substract for the first pair, the for the second and unite them after that and it should work. (I can't upload my partfile- an error occured...)Swept_split.JPG

Perhaps it will be good to create an IR for this 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If you change the length to a smaller value, e.g. LONGITUD = 1500mm, the subtract works as expected. I also suggest opening an IR with GTAC so that they can investigate.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Instead of one very large swept feature, try making it shorter (0 to 12mm) and then use pattern geometry to create the additional turns (168 copies). Then subtract the pattern from the cylindrical shape. That worked for me (see attached model).

Regards,

Abe

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you all! the workarounds worked for me. The part is properly created in the machine design now. Anyway I will ask for an IR as you suggested