Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symbolic internal threads

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible that whenever I create a threaded hole, that symbolic threads are automatically added to it. Because I to 95% of my work on the CAM side I add a lot of chamfers to my parts and the little dashed line around a threaded hole becomes hard to see sometimes. Also, is the thread command able to create internal threads? I have only been able to make external thread like on a bolt. 

Thanks. 

11 REPLIES

Re: symbolic internal threads

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It sounds like you're creating a simple Hole feature and then adding a Symbolic Thread feature.  That's the old way (from more than 10 years ago).

Now, when you create a Hole feature, you have the option to create it as a Threaded Hole, which will automatically include the Symbolic info.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I'm using the hole command but the threaded holes visually look just like simple or drill holes. It has that little dashed ring around the hole that indicates the major diameter of the threads but that can be hard to see and isn't really that helpful...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

While in Modeling, that's all there is to a Symbolic Thread.  In Drafting, when creating Drawings, you have more options as to how Threads are displayed, but in Modeling, what you see is what you get.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I assume you can create detailed threads, but then your model will be more complex.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I'm probably wrong but I swear I've seen or even made symbolic threads like in solidworks one time. O well.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Ya detailed threads in CAM slow everything down and sometimes make selecting holes a pain.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Agreed, our CAM guys have complained about detailed threads multiple times, and I have finally convinced all of the designers that symbolic threads are all you need.  Detailed may look "cool", but they weigh the file down, and make life harder on the machine shop.

Now, if Siemens can just get an external thread tool, that works like the threaded hole.  Dimensioning external threads frustrates our new NX users Smiley Happy

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

I guess you have figured out that the Hole command does create dashled lines to display the internal thread. The issue is being able to see the dashed lines used to display the thread, because they are inside the solid body. If you make the model translucent it helps.

symbolic_thread.jpg

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I agree with everything you said.