Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tangent magnitude

Genius
Genius
I'm sorrry for a theoretical question. In the example below:

1. "my_Bridge_blue" is of G1 and Tangent Magnitude = 1 at both ends.

2. "MY_SPLINE" is a degree-3 sketch spline of G1 at both ends.

How can the poles of "MY_SPLINE" be dimensioned to make "MY_SPLINE" coincident with "my_Bridge_blue"?

The question is meant to understand tangent magnitude but not the technique of buiding the sketch spline.

Thank you! @Yamada

Image.png

6 REPLIES 6

Re: tangent magnitude

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@surfactant

I hope this answers your question. Simply open the geometric constraints function and make the poles coincident. See the movie below.

(view in My Videos)

Regards,
Abe

Genius
Genius

Hi @Abeinjapan   Thank you for your video!

I just want to know what tangent magnitude =1 means for the  pole placement. In other words, I want to know how to make the sketch spline conincident with the bridge spline, only by dimensioning the poles, but not by snapping and constraint.

Siemens Phenom

@surfactant

Not really sure how to answer your question other than say that the sketch spline definition and the bridge curve definition are not the same. Instead of using through poles to define the sketch spline, you should use through points. In that case the definitions will be very similar.

There are many options which alow you to define the exact shape of the spline within either function so it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

(view in My Videos)

Regards,
Abe

Genius
Genius

Hi @Abeinjapan   Thank you for your reply!

I think I didnot clarify my question. I just want to know how Bridge Curve calculates the pole position when the tangent magnitude is specified to be 1, 1.5 or 2 ...

Siemens Phenom

@surfactant

Because the command has so many options to help control the shape, the continuity (G1, G2, etc.) is only relevant to the start and end of the curve. The middle part is controled by the 'Shape Control' settings. You should look at the online help for more detailed info on each of the options. 

In your example you are using 'Tangent Magnitude' which defines a percentage of tangency. I am not really sure how the percentage is calculated.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here and explain what the percentage value means.

Regards,
Abe

Genius
Genius

Hi @Abeinjapan   Thank you for your help!