Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

translators

Anyone have a chart of which version(s) of NX will open which versions of other CAD software?

At the moment i'm trying to translate files from CATIA V5-6 R26 SP2 HF0 (can see this with text editor) and I always end up with an empty model.  Tried NX8.5.3.3MP8 and NX10.0.3.5 MP4 with java 1.7 in 32 bit and 64 bit as well as with java 1.8 in 64 bit with no luck yet.

It would be helpful if I could find a chart to direct me to which NX version and Java should translate a given format. I looked around in GTAC and on website with no luck yet. 

Thanks,

Ryan

6 REPLIES

Re: translators

What kind of file format do you translate?

STEP should be no trouble at all, direct translation of CATIA files might be a problem.

As for a chart, there might be one contained in one of the support matrices located at the bottom right corner of the GTAC main page in the quick links.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 7.4, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0

Hi Stefan,

At the moment I have native CATIA files to translate, I always recommend a neutral format when I can, but some customers find it easier to send native files and I'd prefer not to pester them to change their format to work wtih my company.

If a chart exists in that area on GTAC I don't see it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The NX release notes usually cover this information. For example the NX11 release notes (Home -> NX 11 Caveats and Product Notes -> Data translation -> Product Notes): CATIA V5 translator product notes You can now: Import CATIA V5-6R2015 files to NX. Export NX files to CATIA V5 R14 or R19 files.
Anthony Galante - Senior Support Engineer - PhoenxPLM (Australia & New Zealand Siemens Solutions Partner)
http://www.phoenxplm.com.au/email/2014_signature/signature_videoCenter.jpg

Thank you Anthony! That is a great point to start.

Now if only this information were compiled into a single table so we didn't have to look deep into each versions release notes.

In addition to the release notes, keep an eye on the maintenance release (MR) and maintenance patch (MP) notes. Occasionally the ability to open other file types will be upgraded in an MR or MP.

Excellent point Cowski, I was just browsing through those on GTAC..... and further cements the need to consolidate all of these bits of information into a single table... or perhaps a global search option on the documentation page of Siemens site.

https://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/general/nx.shtml

If i could search, for example, NX11-NX8 for all entries matching CATIA or CATIA V5-6, then I could get the answer I'm after quite easily.

As it is currently I can only assume that the release notes for each base version update the translation abilities and maybe incremental changes with the MRs... likely none with MPs.

Anyone out there have this data already combined?

Thanks,
Ryan