Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: trouble with surfacing

Phenom
Phenom

Currently I’m helping other departments with their work in our company, using my old CAD system. So, I don’t work at my regular NX seat but access the forums as time permits. I know I have the Mach3 bundle which includes PDW package.

This morning I briefly worked with the model I downloaded and when I wanted to replicate the last feature, it gave me a licence issue. Yes, I could edit it but not create the surface from scratch.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Genius
Genius

Hi, @mike_fdo

You are absolutely right, Sir! I would remember to do that in the future.

Phenom
Phenom

@Cesare Just now I checked . i got

Bundles in useNX13210N

How could I find what is included with this package?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Ciao @mike_fdo

you find this informations in Licensing Tool

Licensing Tool.png

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks, following is what I got.

@Cesare & @1u7obd For my curiosity, While in Surfacing, why didn’t you use Trim Sheet command? Why did you use a Boolean operation? Any specific reason to it?

mf_licn_20171121.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
1) I guess that Cesare used a boolean because its quicker / fewer clicks than Trim Sheet. The result should be the same.

2) The mirroring i did on this one, this model is completely symmetric. Notice that i did create a extruded sheet which i used for "tangency support" to the first half.
- A sheet which has tangency normal to the mirror plane ( = the extruded sheet) will have curvature continuity to its own mirror. - the tangent is the same on both sides and the curvature is also the same on both sides.
But, i could as well have created these two sheets as one. the final shape should be very similar.

Gears Phenom

@mike_fdo

There are at least two reason because I use this technique: a 'dull' one is that the subtracting tool disappears and is very fast to use :-)

the second one is that trim sheet is a very complex and sophisticated command with many options such as the cutting curve projection direction and so on, so you have to be careful about its use.

Ciao

Gears Phenom

@1u7obd

"2) The mirroring i did on this one, this model is completely symmetric. Notice that i did create a extruded sheet which i used for "tangency support" to the first half.
- A sheet which has tangency normal to the mirror plane ( = the extruded sheet) will have curvature continuity to its own mirror. - the tangent is the same on both sides and the curvature is also the same on both sides.
But, i could as well have created these two sheets as one. the final shape should be very similar"

The technique I use for aesthetic surfaces is to create a single surface as you suggest.

I attach a file where on the left there are your surfaces created by mirroring, the central one is created 'as one', and to the right there is the central one trimmed in half and then mirrored.

The only truly continuous is the central one but it is non perfectly symmetrical!!!!

In the aesthetic surfaces I prefer the continuity.

Ciao

Genius
Genius

Hi, @Cesare @1u7obd

Learnt so much from you two masters!

I have a question, is it possible to achieve both perfect continuity and symmetry? As you know, sometimese both of them are important for a great product.

Thank you!

Gears Phenom

@surfactant

I think there are some computational capacity limits that do not allow you to exactly reach both continuity and symmetry conditions.

I prefer continuity to symmetry because you can see the first in CAM operations, for example, you see the other with the electron microscope .... ;-)

Talking about surfaces, do you know the Section Surfaces?

I attach a sample file

Ciao