Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.udf extension files

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi guys,

I have recently found in a client's library .udf files and I have no idea where they come from.

well, in fact, they create these (user defined files) using NX85.... I was triyng to use their wizard to create a regular udf, but dialog box was completly different and they told me that dialog box creates thoose .udf files. when you try to insert a udf (i mean a regular one) dialog box also ask you to select a .udf  file.

is it a kind of "old version" file, or what?

I looked for such a kind of file in my computer (i have nx7.5 nx8.5 nx9 and nx10 installed, but no .udf files at all appear in mine machine)

any clue? ( i know any nx can open thoose files, but have no idea where they come from!)

and any clue why wizard is not working with proper dialog box? (nx85)

thanks in advance

mr

3 REPLIES

Re: .udf extension files

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

A .udf file is a special type of NX Part file which is seen by the system as a 'User Defined Feature'.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

HI Jhon,

Could you be more specific? How those files are generated? I couldnt find any information about it. Are them from old versions? Or do they have any special properties?

I just try to figure out why my client have them,  and if its possible for them to keep using them while they start using standard UDFs with UDF's wizard.

Still dont know why his UDF wizard works that way... completely lost.

Thanks in advance Jhon!

(by the way, I thought you were retired. So glad you are still here!)

MR

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

ok, I found it.

they have custom defaults un selected "use new user define features"... so they are still working with old ones. is there any chance they can work with both of them? I mean, some how acces to their old library to be able to use it, while they migrate to newer versions? (they are using nx85, but they will uptate to nx100)

I would like them to use the UDF wizard, to create new UDFs and be able to insert then with "newer" aplication. but dont know how they can still use old udf files. they cant be inserted from the library, dont they?

I know new ones, can be inserted from reuse library, but if they keep using old version udfs they wont be able to use the wizard...

may be, migrate old files to newer format? is that possible?

thanks in advance!