Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do my links break?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I link bodies from one part to another via 2 methods:

1) right click on the assembly, wave, send geometry to part. 

2)  I add both parts to a common assembly, I make the part that will recieve the linked bodies the work part, then in the assembly tab, use 'wave geometry linker'. 

When I use the 2nd method.  I can link the parts, save the part, close NX.  Re-open the part that recieved the linked bodies, but as soon as I open the part that I sent the bodies from all my links break.  What am I doing wrong?  I am thinking it might be because I'm adding both parts to a common parent assembly, doing my linking, then closing without saving the parent assembly.  I don't want to save the parent assembly, i'm only using it as a housing assembly to house both parts while I link from one to another.  I am not sure that this can be the problem though, because when a part is designed in space method #2 must be used, and if you can't remove them from a commen assembly it would require them to stay in the same assembly which can't make sense

2 REPLIES 2

Re: why do my links break?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Mystic97z wrote:

I don't want to save the parent assembly, i'm only using it as a housing assembly to house both parts while I link from one to another.  I am not sure that this can be the problem though, because when a part is designed in space method #2 must be used, and if you can't remove them from a commen assembly it would require them to stay in the same assembly which can't make sense

Wave geometry is Geometry and Position dependent, so Wave Geometry cannot depend on two or more different assembly at the same time, as well as it MUST depend on ONE  assembly.

Look at the image below: Interpart Link Browser

Ciao

wave.png

Re: why do my links break?

Legend
Legend

If I understood correctly you are using assembly just to make a wave link.

But if you don't need the assembly you can use product interface instead. By this tool you may expose geometries from source part to other parts as interface and make a linked copy of them in the destination part by wave interface linker.

Best Regards.