Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Face Blend between Feature Intersection Edges in NX 11.0.1

by Siemens Creator Siemens Creator on ‎04-03-2017 09:15 AM - edited (623 Views)

Face Blend is enhanced in NX 11.0.1 to provide a dedicated type for blending along intersection edges of bodies combined with a Boolean feature.
Face Blend 1.jpg
Face Blend is primarily used to blend between faces of separate bodies. It can also be used to blend between faces of a single body. In either case, the feature stores information about the faces you select so that when the model changes, the blend will update. The Face Blend “Feature Intersection Edges” type in NX 11.0.1 is added to take advantage of “Feature Intersection Edges” selection intent. With this type, you select edges rather than faces, and the feature stores those edges, along with the selection intent rule, for edit and update.

When bodies are combined with a Boolean feature, the edges produced where the target and tool intersect are referred to as feature intersection edges. NX has numerous Boolean features, including the traditional solid Booleans such as Unite and Subtract, and sheet Booleans such as Emboss Body, Trim and Extend, and Combine.* 

*Note: Combine is new in NX 11.0.1.

The use of “Feature Intersection Edges” is advantageous when there is potential for the intersection to change substantially. For example, if the tool body of Boolean might be replaced with a different tool.
The example below has two bodies.
Two bodiesTwo bodies
A Boolean combines the two bodies into one body, and intersection edges are produced where the bodies mutually intersect.Sheet booleanSheet boolean
I want to blend the interseciton, and I want the radius of the blend controled by a tangent hold curve – the blue curve shown in the image below.
Tangent hold curveTangent hold curve
Face Blend provides tangent hold curve control so I use Face Blend.
Blend along tangent hold curveBlend along tangent hold curve
Subsequently, I replace the vertical wall with a different body, illustrated below. The Boolean updates, producing a different set of intersection edges. The blend updates to the feature intersection edges of the Boolean, and in this particular case, the blend maintains contact with the tangent hold curve.
Replace vertical wallReplace vertical wall
If you are familiar with NX, you are probably aware that “Feature Intersection Edges” is available in the Edge Blend command. Adding “Feature Intersection Edges” to Face Blend does not obviate the use of Edge Blend. There are cases where it is advantageous to use the Edge Blend command with “Feature Intersection Edges” and cases where it is advantageous to use the Face Blend command. A practice recommendation is as follows:

• To blend a Boolean intersection, use Edge Blend with “Feature Intersection Edges.” If you need to use Face Blend due to some capability that is not available in Edge Blend, then use Face Blend with the “Feature Intersection Edges” type.

In the example within, if I did not need the tangent hold curve capability, which is exclusive to Face Blend, I would use Edge Blend.

Contributors