Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Case You Missed It - NX Selective Boolean

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Selective Boolean

NX’s Unite feature allows selective inclusion or exclusion of target and tool body regions. The selective Boolean is convenient when combining over-built bodies. In case you missed it, here is a refresher.

The ribs in the example below can be modeled with the NX Rib feature.

Unite1.jpg

One’s work practice might prefer building separate rib bodies, as illustrated below, followed by explicit Booleans to combine the bodies. Rib feature vs building tool bodies – you choose what works for you.

Unite2.jpg

The tool body approach often involves over-building, as illustrated above. Over-building may be a matter of convenience or necessity. An over-built body is larger than needed and later trimmed to a size and shape conducive to combining with a target body. For this example I would need to trim the rib bodies to compose the orange body illustrated below.Unite3.jpg

Selective Boolean reduces manual preparation.Let’s start with the rib bodies in this example. I will unite the separate bodies to produce one rib body. When I unite these bodies I want to exclude the volume of the yellow bodies “inside” the blue body – the volume highlit orange below.

Unite4.jpg

With Unite I select the blue body as the target and both yellow bodies as tools. On the Unite dialog set the “Define Regions” option, then set the “Remove” option, and then select the orange region illustrated above.Unite5.jpg

When the unite feature is applied the orange region will be excluded from the combined body.Unite6.jpg

Inside Information: You might wonder why you need to set the “Define Regions” option. When it is set, Unite splits the target and tool bodies to produce selectable regions. Split is itself a Boolean operation that requires processing time and if I don’t need to select regions I don’t want to spend processing time on something I won’t take advantage of.

Now that the rib body is ready I will to combine the rib and the target. When I unite these bodies I want to include the volume of the rib body “inside” the hollow area of the target – the volume highlit orange below.Unite7.jpg

With Unite I select the gray body as the target and the blue rib body as the tool. This time on the dialog set the “Keep” option, and then select the orange region illustrated above.Unite8.jpg

When the unite feature is applied the selected region will be included in the combined body, and conversely the regions not selected to include will be excluded – the volume of the rib tool “outside” the target.

Unite1.jpg

Eric
Contributors