Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NX Quick Tips: Calculate Volume Using Synchronous Technology

by Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor on ‎01-13-2016 03:16 PM (2,364 Views)

Synchronous Technology is known primarily as a modeling technique, but did you know you can also calculate volume using this method? It’s quick and easy. I’ll show you how in this latest NX Quick Tips video.

There are plenty of products for which accurate and reliable volume is a consideration. One example that comes to mind is cars. Volume has a significant impact on the performance of an engine, and fuel tanks must be a certain capacity in order to meet regulations. The same applies to airplanes, helmets, plastic bottles (think soda, shampoo…), and even something as simple as a measuring cup.

The latter is one of the examples I’ll be showing you today.

When using Synchronous Technology to calculate volume of a body, you will want to be sure the selection groups Select All and All But Selected are both turned on.

First, you will want to choose Select Face from the Delete Face command, and then use Boss Or Pocket Faces to fill in the volume.  

Next, use All But Selected to delete the outside geometry, and you are left with the exact volume of the cup.

Watch the video to see these steps in action. You’ll also see me perform the same action on a more complex model that is truer to the types of products most of you will work with.

Contributors