Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX12.0.2 Measurement Commands Consolidation

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

180130_measurement_consolidation_01.pngSixteen menu commands and over fifty options, all in one new Measure command!For the last couple of years we’ve been working on an exciting project. It’s not often that we tackle consolidating over fifteen command with over fifty options into one new command. But that’s the challenge we’ve taken on, and it’s been an exciting ride. We really hope you like this new direction and the new things you’ll be able to do now.

So how does it work?  There’s so much to show you!

1. Fundamental Philosophy Shift:

One quick note about the general philosophy behind how it works, and then I’ll demonstrate several details with a series of videos.

Historically, NX has had one command per type of measurement. (Measure Distance, Measure Angle, Measure Length, Measure Body, etc.) Within each command, we would prompt you to select specific things in a specific order – one vector and then two objects for a Projected Distance measurement, for instance.

With the new command, we’ve reversed the process. You’ll select things first – generally in any order – and then based on what you’ve selected, we’ll tell you anything (and everything) we know about that object or set of objects. This process ends up working really, really well for literally dozens of different kinds of measurements – including several new types that we enabled in the new command.

(view in My Videos)

2. Quick Information Tooltips:

Even without selecting anything, the new command will give you a bunch of basic measurement information about objects you mouse-over.

(view in My Videos)

3. Consolidating Selections:

The new command displays all of the possible measurements for selected objects, without you to choose different commands and re-select objects for each result.

(view in My Videos)

4. Keeping Simple Measurements Simple:

We've worked hard to keep those single-click and two-click quick measurements simple.

(view in My Videos)

5. New Associative Results For Body Measurements:

We've enabled more of properties of solid bodies (principal axes, inertial properties, etc.) to be saved as associative expressions.

(view in My Videos)

6. When To Use Object Sets:

Wondering about that "Object Set" selection up there?  It's great for measuring cumulative results (combine properties of several bodies or curve, for instance) or for measuring between sets of objects.

(view in My Videos)

7. When To Use the Point And Vector Constructors:

Wondering why we have those "Point" and "Vector" construction tools up there?  If you already have a point object or datum axis object, you can just select those with the "object" selector, of course, but the "Point" and "Vector" constructors are really useful if you need to construct a point or vector that doesn't already exist in the model.  They're also useful for some of the new measurement types, as you'll see below.

(view in My Videos)

8. Comparing the Old And New Projected Distance Workflows:

Just for fun, here's a comparison between the old and new methods for measuring projected distances. We think the new tool is much more flexible here, and help you "back up" less frequently.

(view in My Videos)

9. Multiple Types of Results From One Selection Set:

Sometimes a single selection set can result in more than one type of measurement -- and that's okay.  We'll let you choose the results you want to save -- and even let you come back and change your mind later.

(view in My Videos)

10. New Projected Distance Options:

We've added a really useful new way to measure projected distances that we hope you'll like.  This video describes the differences between the three algorithms now available.

(view in My Videos)

11. Saving Measurement Expressions, Annotations, And Geometry:

We recognize that users may or may not always want to save associative results.  But if you do, this is how to do it.  Saving the measurement will create an associative expression result, and you can optionally save an associative annotation and/or in some cases, save associative measurement geometry as well.

(view in My Videos)

12. Measuring the Local Thickness Of a Body:

This new measurement type allows you to choose a solid body and a point on the surface of that body to probe the local thickness at that location.  This one is super-useful for investigating parts that will be molded, cast, or 3D printed.

(view in My Videos)

13. Measuring a Distance Along a Curve:

The new tool enables fast and easy measurement of distances along curves and edges -- including some impressive automatic recognition of adjacent connected curves.

(view in My Videos)

14. How To Create Requirement Checks for Measurements:

If you like to use Requirement Checks with measurements to monitor the progress or compliance of a design, you'll do that right in-line with each measurement result now, out in the scene dialog.

(view in My Videos)

If you have more questions or would like to see a video on another measurement topic, feel free to drop me a note, either in a comment here or in a private email.  Thanks for your feedback so far, everyone! 

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com
Comments
Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hi

Taylor,

How to download the demo video and parts? In salescenter?