Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Any chance of a 3D PDF within NX?

Phenom
Phenom

If I remember correctly at 2014 PLM world there was mention of talks of implementing 3D pdf in NX11 inside siemens.  The person who mentioned it said it there were "heated internal debates within Siemens" .  So I hope Siemens has let go of thier JT ego and decided to implement this great function.   

Visionary
Visionary

I attended NX11 Beta and I can assure you they did not put in NX11. They did put in a convert to PMI (from drafting) and while it's not perfect it does have promise. The term JT ego is actually a good way to put it. JT is NOT a viable solution when compared to 3D PDF. It would really behoove them to implement a 3D PDF solution.

Phenom
Phenom

Great feedback thanks for this.  At least we get sweep solid body in NX 11.  I think every other cad platform has a 3D PDf export.  I think we use tetra4d to convert models to 3D pdf but we do not use PMI just the model at the current time.

Experimenter
Experimenter

We had Tetra 4D for a while and the nice thing about this software is it works really fast. However, we did have some issues with the PMI converting over and some of the views also. One issue with the PMI is that you couldn't select on the dim and it highlight the associated face in the PDF file as an example.

Re: Any chance of a 3D PDF within NX

Theorist
Theorist
I am so lost with Siemens way of doing business!
Not very funny!

Best Regards,

(Embedded image moved to file: pic03320.gif)

Preben Stougaard Reventlow
Order Engineer, Agitators and Mixers, Product Centre Fluid Handling
Tel direct: +4579322687
prebenstougaard.reventlow@alfalaval.com
Contact me on MS Lync/Communicator:
sipSmiley Tonguerebenstougaard.reventlow@alfalaval.com

Alfa Laval Kolding A/S
Visit: 31, Albuen - DK-6000 Kolding
Registration number: 30938011
Tel switchboard: +45 79 32 22 00 - Fax switchboard: +45 79 32 25 81
www.alfalaval.dk - info.dk@alfalaval.com

This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed and its
content shall be regarded as confidential unless explicitly stated
otherwise. If you have received this e-mail
by mistake, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this
e-mail from your system.

Visionary
Visionary

I am looking at the new JT2go 10.1.5 which makes it possible to drag a PDF with a JT linked with a URI.

when I open the PDF in the Info Browser area of JT2go and there is a URI link in it to the JT, then the JT with the PMIs pops up in the graphics area of the JT2go.

I find it awesome.

Our IT department has made a script which our users can easily request the JT2go.

Here you can see the PDF on the left side and URI links to the JT. + the nice thumbnails in the lower left corner.

I will try to make these URI links from the NX drawing to my 3D PMIviews on the NX 3D model.

in that way I would be able to send out my good old fashion 2D drawing as a PDF with links to each view on the drawing to 3D model views in the embeded JT file. That would be smart.

JT2go1015.png

Genius
Genius
Your solution looks interesting.
So you export a JT file with PMI the "normal" way out of NX and then you create a PDF file with a link to that JT file.
How do you do the last step? With Word?
Do you use a full link or a relative link?
But this does not cover renamed or moved files, does it?
Or du you embed the JT file into the PDF`?

Visionary
Visionary

In Adobe Reader I just use the Comment - Attach file. areader-attach1.png

With the Comments -> Attach, I can "embed" the JT into the PDF.

areader-attach2.png

When I send this PDF file, you wouldnt notice there is a JT file "inside" it.

but the receiver of the PDF can now select the TAG you put on or drag the PDF into JT2go 10.1.5 and see both the PDF and the JT.

The JT file can now be saved seperately and the PMI on the JT can be reused in a CAM or CMM system - or other rellevant purposes

areader-attach3.png

Genius
Genius
Thanks for your explanation. Do you do this all manually or do you have an automated process?
(because a batch job is necessary for us :-))

Visionary
Visionary

How can the PMI be used by CAM and CMM operations?  Are there commercially available CAM and CMM systems, other than Siemens, that are capable of importing JT?

NX PMI MBD
NX PMI MBD

This group is dedicated to the topics of PMI (product and manufacturing information) and MBD (model-based definition) in NX.

If you have a question, please post it in the NX Design Forum.

We also recommend you be a PLM World member, as this group supplements an annual roundtable at PLM Connection.

Members (294)