Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Any chance of a 3D PDF within NX

Visionary
Visionary
We create the PDF automatically, but else everything from there is manually. and PMIs are not implemented by us yet. but we send out monolithic JTs to our suppliers for RFQ together with PDFs. It would be interesting to send out the PDF with the JT embeded. Now I can do it at least

Genius
Genius
You can automatically embed files into PDFs by using a PDF API. I become a big fan of 'pdfclown' in the past and I think if we are going for a similar approach I would try with this API.

It is open source: http://clown.sourceforge.net/docs/api/org/pdfclown/documents/files/EmbeddedFile.html

Visionary
Visionary

I bought a JT to PowerMill converter a month ago. so now I can see the PMIs in our CAM software (PowerMill from DELCAM). it is visible and usefull for the CAM guy.

But all PMIs are converted to wireframe types, which is annoying - but I put it on a seperate level/layer.

And we still dont have a implemented way to put PMIs on - So we are probably at the same stage as many of you are.

A colleague is working on Zeiss Calypso - he says he can import the JT. and is working on the PMIs.

Here you can see the PMIs in PowerMill.powermill.png

Highlighted

Genius
Genius

@HenrikNielsen A design engineer also mentioned this to me at a recent Siemens PLM RUG.

How does the Zeiss Calypso software read the JT Open format? Is it the brep information?

Visionary
Visionary

We have not tested the Calypso from .jt translation yet but what I have discovered in working with them is they can not read any other views in a native NX database other than canned views. I have sent them a few files (finally a very simple one) and continuously was being told they couldn't see anything. After a WebEx meeting I discovered that Calypso couldn't read/find any of the other views in the database. We have created standards unitizing MIL-STD 31000-A and ASME Y14.41 2012 where we put all of our PMI in views named MBDX-XX.  PCDMIS on the other hand can read the files. At this point I think Calypso has a long way to go.

NX PMI MBD
NX PMI MBD

This group is dedicated to the topics of PMI (product and manufacturing information) and MBD (model-based definition) in NX.

If you have a question, please post it in the NX Design Forum.

We also recommend you be a PLM World member, as this group supplements an annual roundtable at PLM Connection.

Members (278)