Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
EO/ECO documentation with PMI/MBD

I had a question about how people do EO/ECO documentation when there is not a drawing?

Currectly, our change docs have text like:

0.995 DIA WAS 1.00 DIA SHEET 1 ZONE A3
1.00 DIA SHEET 2 ZONE A3 DELETED
ADDED 1.00 DIA SHEET 3 ZONE B4

If there is no drawing, and you have 5 dimensions "1.00 DIA", how do you document WHICH "1.00 DIA" changed?

Talking with people at PLMworld, it seems like the "best practice" is to get a screen dump of the effected area (and enough "context" to know where it is) and mark it up, and insert the picture into the EO document.

This seems like a really kludgy / manual process.

Is there any better / more automated / ??  way people use?

I am aware of BCT Inspector and that it supports PMI, although I've only ever tested it for drawings, so I don't know what it does with PMI

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

Re: EO/ECO documentation with PMI/MBD
BCT works with PMI, but as I understand it the filters need to be set correctly so that the right PMI is ballooned. If the PMI is ballooned, then you now have a new way to identify a specific characteristic on the EO/ECO

Your new model with the change incorporated is at the least a new revision.  Obviously, change new model geometry as required to reflect new requirements.

Create a Layer Category Name reflectiing the Change Type, Serial # and/or Letter Change.  (e.g.  "DCN_A_123456",  where DCN =  Design Change Notice is the Change Type, Including or specifying the Change Type may or may not be necessary for your organization...)

Apply PMI Label attached to Feature Geometry which describes change on Layer with ECO/EO Change Category Name.  [*Establish a particular Layer on which to apply ECO/EO Change documentation description and Category Name Format as a Standard Modeling Practice for consistency in your organization.]Example Description PMI Label could readSmiley Very HappyCN A:  WAS:  .995, NOW:  1.00 (Note:  I omitted Diameter Symbol because I couldn't figure out how to include a Diameter Symbol in this reply...)  Apply necessary multiple leaders as/if required for multiple holes...

For your EO/ECO Change Form documentation either take screen shot of model with applicable label or include description of model revision on documentation with reference to model for details (Layer Category Name and/or Number) for specific geometry revision(s).

Note:  Keep in mind that the model geometry itself establishes requirements.  Don't add unnecessary PMI to model like for instance Diametral Dimensions when Geometry provides those Basic requirements and Title Block or some other General Tolerance Note provides the required Tolerance requirements.

Prior Revision Change Descriptions in the new model are deleted and the Layer Category Name is updated to reflect the applicable EO/ECO Change Type and identification for the new change and model your working on.  (Either the Serial Number of the Change Form or the Change Sequence/Letter.)

Hello Ken/everyone,

Nice that you brought this subject to the table, since I was going to ask around myself. Smiley Happy

At my company, we have incorporated a change documentation process using PMI and Model Views.

We create a separate model view called "PMI REVISION DESCRIPTION" where we inherit (commando "Display in views...") the affected/changed/added PMI from the original model view. To the changed PMI we then connect a revision note saying for example "REVISION NOTE: TEXT 6x WAS 5x". By doing this, you can easily refer to this model view in your change documentation, writing for example "changes in accordance with 3D model view PMI REVISION DESCRIPTION". And the changes made become very clear in a 3D-view since you don't have to refer to a coordinate or zone.

In your example with 5 hole dimensions being 1.00 mm each, I would (in the updated 3D file) inherit the changed PMI to the revision view. Then I would add a revision note connected to the changed hole or PMI saying for example "REVISION NOTE: 1.00 mm WAS 0.995 mm" or "REVISION NOTE: HOLE ADDED" or if a hole was deleted: "REVISION NOTE: 4x WAS 5x".

I hope this was somehow understandable.

It would be really interesting to hear how more people/companies use PMI / MBD / model views in their change processes?

// Jessica