Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Inherit PMI to 2D

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Henrik,

As you know I'm always interested in feedback and input. The dilemma with regards to drawing based workflows associated with PMI generally comes down to how much should we contnue to invest in producing traditional engineering drawings from models containing PMI. A Model Based Definition strategy focuses on moving towards a drawingless approach. Today NX exceeds competitive solutions in terms of leveraging PMI on a model when producing a drawing. We also provide a solution to convert drawing based content to a model as PMI. The downstream benefits of reusing a model with PMI are significant. I understand that for many going drawingless is simply not a realistic short term goal; however, I would hope that this is a part of everyone's long term strategy. Sounds like a good topic to include in the Model Based Definition Round Table session at PLM Connections next month. I look forward to it!  

Regards,

Dave 

Visionary
Visionary
• I understand and totally support your vision for PMI and JT. I wish it was an easy thing. But
• I assume a lot og companies still need to create 2D drawings for legal and compliance reasons.
• I assume a lot of countrie and companies don't accept a JT as legal or compliant information. Or even know what a JT file is - with PMIs.
• I still have a lot of cosmetic problems with PMIs.
• I assume some/lots of companies don't even have a monitor at the maintenance desks. Personally I still struggle a lot with JT2GO on a tablet or the windows 10 app version.
- for me there is still a long way before the 2D drawing is dead.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Onur1 wrote:

Actually that PMI tab doesn't appear for me on the section/detail views, but appear only on the main views. Please see the snapshots.

I am using NX8.5.

If you create a section view of a base view in drafting, PMI tab will not be available. It will be available for the base view only. 

Is it possible to inherit PMI on section views and detail views, or it is only possible on main views?

You can create the section view with PMI dimensions in modeling application (PMI) and create it as a base view in the drafting.

pmi.PNGPMI Section View

About Detail View: Add the PMI dimensions to the top view in PMI application > Create it as base view in drafting > Create 'Detail View'. As the top view has PMI dimension already, Detail view will show the PMI dimension also. No need to convert it to independent detail view.

pmi2.PNGPMI in Detail View

Secondly, can i inherit notes & specifications if i generate them in the 3D space as a PMI note?

You can create a separate view for the notes,specifications in PMI application. Create a new view > Add PMI Notes > Add it as a base view in the drafting. Using the layer visible in view, make all layers invisible that has 3D geometry so that layer which contain the PMI Notes will be visible only.

pmi1.PNGPMI Notes

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Henrik,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. I want to help. Please submit IRs to GTAC for the problems you're having and I will personally follow-up on each.

There are many companies that are successfully using PMI in production today and the number is growing. I hope that those of you that participate in this forum will respond and share your experiences and feedback to help others that are in the process of adopting a Model Based Definition strategy.  

Regards,
Dave

NX PMI MBD
NX PMI MBD

This group is dedicated to the topics of PMI (product and manufacturing information) and MBD (model-based definition) in NX.

If you have a question, please post it in the NX Design Forum.

We also recommend you be a PLM World member, as this group supplements an annual roundtable at PLM Connection.

Members (246)