Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

MBE @ Daimler

Genius
Genius

Hi,

my name is Joachim Schraitle (Daimler, Stuttgart). I am in Daimlers Powertrain IT team for cam and digital factory.

We just had a pilot where we designed a cylinderhead in NX with PMI. Then retrieved the PMI data by using NX Manufacturing feature recognition. We fed this data back into Tecnomatix Machining Line Planner (MLP).

My personal objective is to achieve stronger machine readablity through the NX tool chain to the downstream process.

Best regards,

Joachim

Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3
9 REPLIES

Re: MBE @ Daimler

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joachim, 

Welcome to the NX PMI MBD Group! Thank you for posting and sharing your story. I hope the pilot went smoothly. 

Regards, 

Amy 

Creator
Creator

Tom Cloutier @ L-3 Communidations. We are making plans to migrate to MBE/MBD process. PMI is part of the plan. Machine reading of PMI by third party inspection software is my current focus. Joachim, does your downstream tool chain include inspection? Will the inspection software be NX or third party?

Re: MBE w/in NX software

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Tom, NX along with PMI do support CMM inspection workflow, I will attach a presention by Ashley Kerth.

-Sam

Sam Kuan

Legend
Legend

Thanks for letting me into this Group.  We are starting review what PMI can get us in process improvements down the line in Cam and Other areas of our company.  We use PCDMIS to program our CMM's with at the current time.  Also We would like to get to having our drawings as just an output instead of being authored.

How does NX PMI interact with PCDMIS and being able to import the PMI from NX?  I know this is a third party application but that was the choice being used for now.

Thanks

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hexagon Metrology, makers of PC-DMIS, do have add-on module called CAD++ DCI that can open a NX .prt file using an NX Gateway license and displays the part geometry and PMI inside the PC-DMIS programming application.  However I do not know if it will convert the NX PMI to appropriate DMIS tolerance syntax,  I beileve the user still has to create the individual tolerances for each PMI and assign it to the appropriate CAD features.    At least this is the way it worked last time I used 2013 MR1.

Siemens PLM provides an NX CMM Inspection Programming application that can read PMI directly from the NX .prt or JT with PMI and create the proper DMIS syntax for each PMI and assign it to the associated CAD features automatically.    In PC-DMIS, use FIle > New then use the DMIS import the .dmi file from other sources.   PC-DMIS > DMIS Import funciton only supports (TP) touch type programs for execution on the CMM. 

Visionary
Visionary

We just had a presentation from a Hexagon Metrology sales person and if the users PC has both PCDMIS and NX loaded it's my understanding that PCDMIS will directly read the NX database and embedded GD&T. The sales person did not have NX loaded on his machine so he did a translation and a few things were left off but we were assured that the direct read would be cleaner. In addition, when reading the GD&T if it finds a mistake it will flag it for you and let you know there is a problem. It will basically perform an auto process routing (and optimize it) based on the tolerances and the user has the ability to reorder that routing much like dragging in the NX Part Navigator. I believe they can read NX10 data. Hope that helps. 

Legend
Legend

Great Feedback from all, thanks for this.  I wonder how it Would work within NX running Teamcenter? We would probably have to export this NX data out of teamcenter into a file share using export assembly out of teamcenter or named references. We may need to contact our Sales rep for PCDMIS to view our options.

Genius
Genius

Hi Tom (@cloutier),

we are having inspection seats with Calypso. Getting NX is not so much of an issue at my company. I just attended the PLM Europe conference. They stated you could use NX CMM and integrate it with e.g. Calypso via an I++ interface. I don´t know more about inspection. I plan to go for this, but just after our machining downstream process.

Best wishes,
Joachim

Genius
Genius

Hi Amy,

the cylinderhead is the most complex part with the most PMI that has been created with NX ever (according to Siemens).

The interesting thing is moving from an "informal" process (e.g. an arrow pointing on a hole saying this one 11 times) to a formal PMI-based process referencing the hole cylinders showed different misunderstandings in the process. One guy found 8 holes, another one 9.

Nevertheless, designers tend to not like using 3D tolerancing.

Best wishes,
Joachim

Highlighted

MBE @ Daimler

Genius
Genius

Hi,

my name is Joachim Schraitle (Daimler, Stuttgart). I am in Daimlers Powertrain IT team for cam and digital factory.

We just had a pilot where we designed a cylinderhead in NX with PMI. Then retrieved the PMI data by using NX Manufacturing feature recognition. We fed this data back into Tecnomatix Machining Line Planner (MLP).

My personal objective is to achieve stronger machine readablity through the NX tool chain to the downstream process.

Best regards,

Joachim

Best wishes,
Joachim