Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Maintaining PMI associations in assemblies when replacing components?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Does anyone have a best practice for maintaining associations when replacing components? For example replacing to a nearly identical part with a different dash number with a small difference like a hole diameter?

I would like to replace the component and the associations stay. I know you can re-associate the existing symbols but this takes time and doesn't always work. Notes and Custom Symbols seem to be particularly difficult to reattach.

One method I have found is to create an extracted of wavelink copy of the solid and associate PMI to that. When the component is replaced the extract or wavelink can be updated using the replacement assistant. I would prefer not to us this method as it introduces extra solids into the model.

Another I have seen is to name the faces and edges of the parts the same in both models. This is a fair bit of work but is doable if a journal was made to auto name them and then dash number are saved off each other.

Is there anyway to use something like the replacement assistant when replacing components?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Maintaining PMI associations in assemblies when replacing components?

Visionary
Visionary

Did you try Replace Component with Settings, Maintain Relationships checked?  I don't know if this works, but it's an easy try.

Highlighted

Maintaining PMI associations in assemblies when replacing components?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Does anyone have a best practice for maintaining associations when replacing components? For example replacing to a nearly identical part with a different dash number with a small difference like a hole diameter?

I would like to replace the component and the associations stay. I know you can re-associate the existing symbols but this takes time and doesn't always work. Notes and Custom Symbols seem to be particularly difficult to reattach.

One method I have found is to create an extracted of wavelink copy of the solid and associate PMI to that. When the component is replaced the extract or wavelink can be updated using the replacement assistant. I would prefer not to us this method as it introduces extra solids into the model.

Another I have seen is to name the faces and edges of the parts the same in both models. This is a fair bit of work but is doable if a journal was made to auto name them and then dash number are saved off each other.

Is there anyway to use something like the replacement assistant when replacing components?

NX PMI MBD
NX PMI MBD

This group is dedicated to the topics of PMI (product and manufacturing information) and MBD (model-based definition) in NX.

If you have a question, please post it in the NX Design Forum.

We also recommend you be a PLM World member, as this group supplements an annual roundtable at PLM Connection.

Members (287)