Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Model View and PMI Navigation Enhancements in NX 11.0.1

NX 11.0.1 delivers a number of useful enhancements for NX PMI including usability improvements, enhanced workflows and additional standards coverage. One of the areas we have enhanced is interacting with model views and PMI navigation.

NX organizes PMI in the Part Navigator in a number of ways to manage status as well as control display. In order to better manage PMI, NX 11.0.1 provides the ability to more easily navigate to specific model views and quickly locate selected PMI display instances. So beginning with NX 11.0.1 you can now “MB3 > Navigate to Model View” on PMI objects found in the PMI node, PMI Retained sub-node, PMI Out of Date sub-node and the Dependencies Pane or on PMI display instances. A dynamic pull down list of all model views containing PMI display instances will appear.

Navigatetomodelview.png

Selecting a model view from the pull down list changes the displayed model view to the selected model view and sets it as the work view. The Part Navigator also automatically expands to the work model view if necessary and highlights the selected PMI in the tree. The graphics window also automatically fits to the selected PMI display instance in the view to better identify the selected instance.

We’ve also made it easier to identify the work/target model view in the Part Navigator by bold highlighting the name of the work/target model view. This is consistent with how other objects in navigators are indicated as active in NX.

The result of these enhancements is improved productivity when interacting with model views and PMI navigation. I look forward to any feedback you have on these enhancements or suggestions you might have to further enhance model view and PMI navigation.

Regards,
Dave Wingrave
NX Product Manager, Model Based Definition

Re: Model View and PMI Navigation Enhancements in NX 11.0.1

Has a NX Customer Default been included, so this described Display/View functionality of "fits to the selected PMI display instance" can be turned off?

My feedback on the overall direction that Siemens seems to be heading with PMI, would be to suggest an understanding that PMI in a model is 3D oreinted and specifically a MBD centric paradigm.  PMI is not "Drafting in 3D" it is so much more than that, and this focus on View Dependency for PMI which is reminiscent of 2D Drawing Views and the associated View Dimensions, Tolerance, Notes, etc. on those 2D Drawing Views.  PMI shouldn't be View Dependent or Centric and the construct to make it behave as View Dependent or controlling its display in single or multiple Views seems to be a misplaced focus.

I would much rather see emphasis placed on improving PMI's conformance to the ASME Y14.41 Standard.  For instance, ASME Y14.41 7.2.7(b) Query specifies that Annotation To/From Model Geometry Highlighting between Model Geometry and Annotation shall be available in the model in either order.  Ie.  You shoulld be able to select a Geometrical Feature such as a face and all PMI associated to that Face should highlight, as well as vice versa, selecting a PMI Object should highlight the associated Geometrical Features.  Another is the Associativity of FCF's and the Referenced Datum's Feature Symbols, Target Symbols shall be highlighted when the FCF is selected/queried.  (This is per 7.2.7(e)(1)) and by application of 7.2.7.(b)(1) the associated Geometrical Features should be highlighted as they are associated to the respective Datum Symbols and Datum Targets.  Regions PMI is another example where the focus or construct seems to be limited as it's implementation seems to entrenched with the 2D Drawing construct of cross-hatching, where there are border entities associated with Region PMI that seem to be expressly present because the cross-hatching functionality seems have a direct ancestry of how cross-hatching works in Drafting for 2D Drawings and the associativity for PMI Regions seems to be strangely connected to the "Conform to Face" option/functionality...

I always want "more"...  Smiley Happy

Re: Model View and PMI Navigation Enhancements in NX 11.0.1

Thanks for your feedback and input. The functionality “fits to the selected PMI display instance" is explicitly triggered by the optional MB3 > Navigate to Model View.

With regards to your feedback on the overall direction, let me say that I completely agree with you that PMI is not “Drafting in 3D”. Model views are a general UI element in NX and useful for a number of workflows beyond producing engineering documentation. While I would agree that the concept is similar to that of drawing views in that they represent various orientations of a model or assembly, they can also be useful for helping to manage and organize PMI. I am certainly open to listen to your thoughts on better supporting a view independent approach.

NX has very good coverage of ASME Y14.41 today with additional coverage in NX 11.0.1 including ASME Y14.41 7.2.7(e)(1). NX supports ASME Y14.41 7.2.7(b) and 7.2.7(b)(1) today.

It’s not clear to me from your statements on PMI Region specifically what your concerns are. This is a 3D Annotation object and compliant with 3D Annotation Standards Supplemental Geometry requirements. The option “Conform to Face” allows you to associate a Region to a one or more non-planar faces. If you feel there are limitations with this function or you could benefit from enhancing it please share additional details by way submitting an ER through GTAC or in this forum where others can comment.

I always want "more" too ;-)