cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted

PMI Roundtable Summary 2015 PLM Connection Americas User Conference

Visionary
Visionary

We are developing our MBD Standards and it's our understanding that for downstream applications (I.E. CAM & CMM) we have a better chance of the systems we use (Zeiss / PCDMIS) reading the FCF if they are standalone rather than embedded with the dimension. I.E. Put the PMI Dimension on and then go to the Appendend Text editor and add the GD&T symbol like the user is used to doing in Application Drafting. I understand there are ways (Legally to the ASME standards) to associate the FCF to the surface however we have large cases and where a diameter dimension will be noticed it is quite likely that the feature control frame associated way out on the diameter can be overlooked. I have attached a small snapshot of what I'm asking and I can certainly write an ER to ask for the "Text to Line Gap" to be changed so the user has individual settings like the Extension Line "Gap" and "Overhang" but does anyone have a work around for this? More importantly and my main question is for the folks utilizing CMM with PMI is there another way to apply the FCF and still have the CMM software read it?

2 REPLIES

Re: PMI Roundtable Summary 2015 PLM Connection Americas User Conference

Experimenter
Experimenter

From what I've done and seen geneally for large diamters that it is applied as a cross section so the dimater dimension only has the top line/arrow and the feature control frame is placed associatively below it. The feature control frame is then associated to the diameter/surface.

Re: PMI Roundtable Summary 2015 PLM Connection Americas User Conference

Theorist
Theorist

My company would create the FCF as a stand alone PMI, then "Stack" it with the dimension.  The stacked pair can be relocated, on screen, as a single unit, by selecting the top line.  The Stack operation will inherit Associated Objects from the dimension to the FCF.  The FCF will remain a separate object in the PMI folder.  This is the part that makes it more useful to the downstream applications.  PMI can be unstacked by selecting any line other than the first, and dragging the PMI away from the stack.