Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Technical Data Packages

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

I'm interested in hearing how Technical Data Packages are being used/planned within companies. I'll start the thread off with some high level questions, but feel free to share more details. If you would prefer to send your input to be directly that's fine too.

Do you generate TDPs today?
What is your main purpose:
For supplier collaboration 
In order to meet contractual obligations

other?
What tools/solutions are you using today?
What departments within your company use these tools (design, nanufacturing, other)?
What format are you using?
JT, 3D PDF, STEP

What kind information do capture in a TDP?

Thanks,

Dave

4 REPLIES

Re: Technical Data Packages

Visionary
Visionary

Hi Dave.

My company creates a TDP to meet contract  requirements. We also create various derivative files to support Vendors that do not use NX (STEP, IGES, JT) and internal product workflow (JT for digital thread).

The contractural items required are specified on the TDP Option Selection Worksheet.

They usually consist of:

2D Drawings as derived from 3D Models as pdf

3D Models in Native CAD and nuetral format

Derivative files in nuetral format (STEP or IGES)

Recent contracts reference meeting the requirements of MIL-STD-31000 which is being updated to include a lightweight viewable format file, 3d PDF, JT or 3DWebX.

The DOD is heavily suggesting that 3D PDF be the 3D Intelligent format.

There was a 3Di Workshop for DOD at NIST last week that I attended.

I can assure you that support of 3D PDF for future TDPs will be a requirement.

Thanks Ed. You mentioned that your company creates TDP's to meet contract requirements and that these TDP's usually consist of various files. How do you share all of this data today (i.e. as a group of files, compressed form or as attachments, other?). Sounds like your company has a need to comply with MIL-STD-31000 and an interest in 3D PDF. With JT being a part of your internal product workflow, have you taken a look at JT plus PDF as a way to package data?

Theorist
Theorist

I second Ed's comment.  I've studied 3D-PDFs and think that they are an excellent solution for Technical Data Packages.  I've found JT or JT+PDF to be more cumbersome to create and less user friendly downstream.  If 3D-PDFs could be created and exported natively from NX, it would be a big win ...

Visionary
Visionary

I have not looked at JT with PDF.Is that simply a 3d PDF with an embedded JT? Is there an example of this online?

We have seen limitations with model size with the 3D PDF whereas the JT seems to handle the large model better. The only differnece I have seen is that 3d PDF can "pack" multiple items and JT does not.

Highlighted

Technical Data Packages

I'm interested in hearing how Technical Data Packages are being used/planned within companies. I'll start the thread off with some high level questions, but feel free to share more details. If you would prefer to send your input to be directly that's fine too.

Do you generate TDPs today?
What is your main purpose:
For supplier collaboration 
In order to meet contractual obligations

other?
What tools/solutions are you using today?
What departments within your company use these tools (design, nanufacturing, other)?
What format are you using?
JT, 3D PDF, STEP

What kind information do capture in a TDP?

Thanks,

Dave