Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

between PMI & CAM

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hello:

PMI  is Manufacturing Infomation.Any one can tell me what realationship between PMI and CAM?

many thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: between PMI & CAM

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

One definition (my own understanding):

Product Manufacturing Information (PMI) is a set of tools that allows you to attach non-geometric information to a CAD item in pursuit of higher-level workflows like MBD (Model Based Design) or MBE (Model Based Enterprise) . The eventual idea is that your model will contain all the info it needs to be designed and manufactured.

The most common workflows are info like Surface Finish, Dimenion Tolerances, etc... Things that were traditionally put in 2D drawings as text, notes, "funny graphics" and often had to be interperted by the Manufacturing Engineer (or worrse, perhaps, they were not put anywhere and the Manufacturing Engineer had to figure it out themselves, and may not have documented those decisions anywhere, or if they did it was in a seperate document that might not be tracked).

I'm sure there are folks here with much more Manufacturing experience than I that can expand on this.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I believe the goal is that CAM should be able to recognize the PMI and decide on the proper manufacturing strategy "automatically"

For instance, a nominal "half-inch" hole could be:

- just drilled (large tolerance, and short L/D so spot drill not required)

- spot drill & drill (perhaps due to longer L / D)

- spot drill, drill and ream (diameter tolerance and/or surface finish require ream)

- spot drill, drill and bore (position tolerance is tight)

- spot drill, drill and bore and ream

- spot drill, drill and ... and jig-grind

- wire EDMed

- etc.

If the PMI data is on the model, then it can be used to select the proper manufacturing process for the hole (automatically, with possible assistance from a human).

If that data is not on the model (e.g. on a drawing or not specified anywhere) it REQUIRES human input to define the process.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hello!

CAM and CAD/PMI are already connected in NX CAM with Feature Based Machining (FBM) application. If for example, one hole has H7 tolerance, it will be machined differfently with FBM than the hole with no tolerance. The same would be with surface texture symbols. If you place such a symbol on a surface, it will be machined differently (according to the symbol and FBM rules).

An example of this can be seen in the following movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBy95N64Seo

At approx. time of 6:50, you can see, that the pocket has already Ra defined.

Hope that this movie helps in understanding of the connection between PMI and CAM in NX.

Regards. 

Highlighted

between PMI & CAM

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hello:

PMI  is Manufacturing Infomation.Any one can tell me what realationship between PMI and CAM?

many thanks

NX PMI MBD
NX PMI MBD

This group is dedicated to the topics of PMI (product and manufacturing information) and MBD (model-based definition) in NX.

If you have a question, please post it in the NX Design Forum.

We also recommend you be a PLM World member, as this group supplements an annual roundtable at PLM Connection.

Members (243)