cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Assign ID-number(s), i.e. Node-or-Element Builder's "label" property being 'Auto'?

Creator
Creator

Using Journaling... I am creating CAE.FENode(s) and CAE.FEElement(s), via invokings of  CAE.NodeCreateBuilder & CAE.ElementCreateBuilder (respectively). These Builders have property "label" which alows my explicitely assigned "ID_number" (i.e. Nastran GridID & ElemID).  What I desire is... for the Builder(s) to 'Auto-Assign' ID-numbers, i.e. using the FEM's "next-available-yet-unused" ID-number. Any helpfull suggestions or Examples about, How do I accomplish this, would be appreciated. (thx)

2 REPLIES

Re: Auto-Assign ID-number(s), i.e. Node-or-Element Builder's "label" property being 'Auto'

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Dean,

Note that, while the journal typically records the setting of all of the properties on a builder, you don't necessarily need to set all available properties on a builder before committing the builder in your code. Some properties are not applicable to the particular state the builder may be in. Others may get a default value if they are not specified.

I haven't tried, but I believe node and element ID's fall into this second category - if you don't explicitly set the label property in the builder, the program automatically sets it to the next available label. So basically, comment out your line of code that sets the label property and see if that works.

Re: Auto-Assign ID-number(s), i.e. Node-or-Element Builder's "label" property being 'Auto'

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Just tried this and my statement above is not correct. The label property of the builder will not be auto populated with the next available.

If you want the next highest available label, you can use the GetHighest*Label properties of NXOpen.CAE.SolverAppendOption, then add one. For example:

nodeCreateBuilder.Label = femPart.CreateSolverAppendOption.GetHighestNodeLabel + 1