Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Auto make body's face to be parallel to view front (z,x) plane

[ Edited ]

I am not sure if this can be automated but I hope I can do something about this.  I will try my best to describe the problem:

• We often receive assembly files from customer but most files are in step format with  just 1 single part file for an assembly, containing multiple bodies intead of a real NX assembly file (with multiple part files). Each body prepresents a real-world component.
  • We are required to take pictures of each body in the part file to have: front view, back view, top view, botttom view, left view, right view, and isometric view. 
  • Issue: the bodies and the screen axes  are not align, thus we must manually adjust the face view.
  • In the sample image (I hided other bodies), I would like to have the "front" face on the body to be parallel to the view front (z,x) plane so we can use the orientation ---> Top View, Bottom View, etc to take the pictures of the this body. Technically, it does not have to be the "front" face but can be be top, bottom, back, etc of the component's face.

My questions:

(1) Can this process be automated?

(2) If yes, will it extremely difficult? 

(3) If no, any suggestion for workaround solution

F.jpg

5 REPLIES

Re: Auto make body's face to be parallel to view front (z,x) plane

[ Edited ]

It's not clear (to me) whether you want to rotate the object, or rotate the view. But, no matter, I think either of these could be done. The user would have to click on a planar face, and then a rotation could be performed to align that face's normal with the viewing direction. Or, the user might have to define a coordinate system to get things aligned.

Would it be easy?  I'd say not too bad. I'd guess a few hundred lines of code, order of magnitude. Not thousands, not dozens.

You could probably automate the picture-taking, too, though that would be a bit more work.

山田
yamada

'Move Object' command can be used to orient the dumb bodies by using the different types available like dynamic,angle,distance,point to point etc.

Other way is, Orient the CSYS as needed and save the WCS with respect to the CSYS.
Testing NX10 | NX11| TC-NX Integration
Teamcenter 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | Active Workspace 3.2

just the view should be good because the real purpose is to have its pictures taken. I actually got the hidden all other parts and the pictures taken automated. Just need to make sure the views of an object are right.

Another options would be to create a "view set" for each component.

Look that up in the docs to see if it would be easier or harder than other options.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

I reviewed and actually, I would need to also need to move the bodies not just the view due to some other requirements.  

Thank all for the supports, I will try to see if I can do the code.