Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Change color of dumb holes

Hi,
I'm writing program for changing color of dumb holes (not HOLE PACKAGE).
Let say I want to pin point all holes faces with radius 10mm. Unfortunately I'm stuck with command theUFSession.Modl.AskFaceData. Everything works great except when I want to show holes with exact radius 9mm. I'm not sure if this is the bug or I'm doing something wrong. I've tried this in NX10, NX8.5 and NX6 and it is working exactly the same.
Can somebody please check attached code. Make extrude with few holes with diameter 20mm (r10) and run the code. You will notice hole axis in holes with dia 20mm and holes listed in listing window.
Then change the holes diameter to 18mm (R9) and change the variable radius in code to 9 and run it again and nothing happens, no error,...

Thanks,

Anton

Option Strict Off
Imports System
Imports NXOpen
Imports NXOpen.UF

Module NXJournal
    Dim theSession As Session = Session.GetSession()
    Dim theUFSession As UFSession = UFSession.GetUFSession()
    Dim workPart As Part = theSession.Parts.Work
    Dim lw As ListingWindow = Nothing

Public Sub Main(ByVal args As String())
        lw = theSession.ListingWindow()
        lw.Open()

For Each aBody As Body In workPart.Bodies.ToArray

For Each aFace As Face In aBody.GetFaces()

If aFace.SolidFaceType = Face.FaceType.Cylindrical Then
                    Dim type As Integer = Nothing
                    Dim axisPt(2) As Double
                    Dim axisDir(2) As Double
                    Dim faceBox(5) As Double
                    Dim radius As Double = Nothing
                    Dim rad_data As Double = Nothing
                    Dim norm_dir As Integer = Nothing
                    theUFSession.Modl.AskFaceData(aFace.Tag, type, axisPt, axisDir, faceBox, radius, rad_data, norm_dir)

Dim pt_status As Integer = Nothing
                    theUFSession.Modl.AskPointContainment(axisPt, aBody.Tag, pt_status)

Dim uvs(3) As Double
                    theUFSession.Modl.AskFaceUvMinmax(aFace.Tag, uvs)

If radius = 10 And pt_status = 2 And (uvs(0) = 0.0) And (uvs(1) = Math.PI * 2) Then

theUFSession.Disp.Conehead(UFConstants.UF_DISP_WORK_VIEW_ONLY, axisPt, axisDir, 0)
                        lw.WriteLine("Face tag: " & aFace.Tag & "   Type: " & type & "   Radius: " & radius)

End If
                End If
            Next
        Next
    End Sub

Public Function GetUnloadOption(ByVal arg As String) As Integer
        Return Session.LibraryUnloadOption.Immediately
    End Function

End Module

7 REPLIES

Re: Change color of dumb holes

You will often run into problems like this when comparing "floating point" numbers. See the link below for one alternate strategy.

http://floating-point-gui.de/errors/comparison/

Hi,

I don't understand this. Why do I have problem only with radius value 9 and for all other values everything is working great?

OK I will check your link...

Any idea how to copy faces with specified radius value to DisplayableObject array?

Thanks,

What I do to not get into such errors is to do the test as follows

Dim testrad as Double = 9

If Math.Abs(radius -testrad) < 0.001 And pt_status = 2 And (uvs(0) = 0.0) And (uvs(1) = Math.PI * 2) Then

theUFSession.Disp.Conehead(UFConstants.UF_DISP_WORK_VIEW_ONLY, axisPt, axisDir, 0)
                        lw.WriteLine("Face tag: " & aFace.Tag & "   Type: " & type & "   Radius: " & radius)

End If

Frank Swinkels

Thanks Frank its working now.

I understand what is the problem , only  I'm not sure why this happens only with number 9 and not with all numbers.

Thanks again,

Anton

If you print all the numbers to a lot of decimal places (13 or 20 or whatever) you will find out why :-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

The problem is also known as floating point error, which is punishing any programming language since the day binary representation of real numbers was introduced.

The problem is that not all real numbers can be represented in binary format exactly.

There should be a wiki pedia page about the floating point error.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

[ Edited ]

Here is some alternative code that might be informative. It's an example from the Snap.NX.Face.Sense topic in the SNAP Reference Guide:

Imports Snap, Snap.Create, Snap.Topology
Imports System.Drawing.Color

Public Class MyProgram

Public Shared Sub Main()

' Build a sample part
      Dim base As Snap.NX.Body = Block({0, 0, 0}, 8, 4, 2)
      Dim boss As Snap.NX.Body = Cylinder({2, 2, 1}, Snap.Vector.AxisZ, 2.0, 2.0).Body
      Dim hole As Snap.NX.Body = Cylinder({6, 2, 1}, Snap.Vector.AxisZ, 2.0, 2.0).Body
      Dim temp As Snap.NX.Body = Unite(base, boss).Body
      Dim part As Snap.NX.Body = Subtract(temp, hole).Body

' Use face senses to identify holes and bosses
      For Each face As NX.Face In part.Faces
         If face.ObjectSubType = NX.ObjectTypes.SubType.FaceCylinder Then
            If face.Sense = Sense.Positive Then face.Color = Red    ' A boss; color it red
            If face.Sense = Sense.Negative Then face.Color = Green  ' A hole; color it green
         End If
      Next

End Sub
End Class

And, as others have mentioned, you should never write "If X = Y Then ..." if X and Y are floating point numbers ("Double" in VB). Floating point numbers are just approximations, so you need some equality tolerance. Just for fun, try calculating 0.1 + 0.1 + ... + 0.1  (ten times). You won't get 1.0.

山田
yamada