Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Collect Associated Faces of a Selected Cylindrical Face (Rest of the hole faces..)

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

Just ran it again, all the cylinder faces and the fillet have u_status = "1" and v_status = "0". U_period is 6.283... and v_period is 0. Also same on all.

Re: Collect Associated Faces of a Selected Cylindrical Face (Rest of the hole faces..)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I made a test part, and I have to say my expectations were wrong about the periodicity!

I really thought that a cylindrical face with less than 360 degrees would be non-periodic.

Please accecpt my (embarrassing!) apology!

Steve

Legend
Legend

Just to add to this I would do the following:

To eliminate partial cylinders get the face edges. If the number of edges is 2 then we either have a closed cylinder (ignoring divided cylinders) or a closed blend.  To eliminate the closed blend I would get the curvatures at a point on the face.  If both values are non-zero (within tolerance) then reject the face as a closed blend.

Now for each of the two face edges I would get the adjacent faces. If the adjacent face has 1 or 2 edges then it will be one of the faces to include.  1 edge would be either the flat or conical bottom face of the hole. 2 edges would be either the chamfer or the annulus of the cbore hole.  The 2 edge faces would need to be further checked until you reached a point when the number of edges is greater than 2.

Frank Swinkels

Master
Master

It is not a easy task to solve all kind of holes. We even use drilling for open holes. This depends of course on material, tool and machine type. We use face, edge and edge type concave convex to get position, orientation, acessvector  and size, depth start end to evalute holes and hole type and sort them in alogical way. Snap is also no option for us because it is not availible on all platforms.

Siemens Phenom

> I would respectfully disagree regarding SNAP.

> Since it is an added cost module, it is not available to everyone.

I said it was the easiest, not the cheapest. And you only need one author license, remember. Depends how much your time is worth.

> Will check into the documentation to see the methods and then look for the corresponding NXOpen functions.

The only place you'll find loops in NX/Open is in the UFBrep functions, and these are callable only from C/C++ code. But you can reconstruct the loops yourself, starting from the edges, if you want to. In most holes, each loop consists of only a single edge, anyway. And, with each edge, you can call NXOpen.UF.UFModl.AskEdgeVerts. If you get zero vertices, you know you have a closed edge. These edges will usually be circles, but you might also get some ellipses and intersection edges. And on an imported model, if you haven't yet "cleaned" it, you'll probably find a lot of edges whose type is "tolerant edge". But, the geometry type doesn't really matter very much; it's only the number of vertices that you care about, I think.

Another thing I forgot to mention, that might be useful -- look at edge convexity. Again, this is easier in SNAP (Snap.NX.Edge.Convexity), but you can probably figure it out from surface normals in NX/Open. A convex edge often indicates the place where the hole enters or exists the main part.

山田
yamada

Siemens Phenom

Regarding UF_MODL_ask_face_periodicity. The functions is somewhat misnamed. It's telling you the periodicity of the underlying surface, not the face. That's why you get 2*Pi for every cylinder.

You might get what you want from UF_MODL_ask_face_uv_minmax, though.

Also UF_MODL_ask_face_topology looks useful. A cylindrical blend will have a type equal to UF_MODL_FLAT_TOPOLOGY.

山田
yamada

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

Frank,

That is pretty close to what I tried. I used AskAdjacFaces while cycling through the faces to find all with 2 or less adjacent faces. That works for the most part, but as I suspected, if a hole is in a round boss, the boss face and O.D. gets included for color changing. That may only be a cosmetic issue, since FBM will recognize the actual hole and all the pertinent faces will be the same color to allow my mapping to function. I'm going to thump on it a bit more to see if I can resolve it and then go on to testing the FBM code.

Yamada,

The AskFaceTopology has eliminated selection of blends and fillets. Will want to do more thorough testing, but looks very promising right now.

Thanks!

Here is the result:

Capture.JPG

Here is the color changing code, holeObjects is the array of selected cylindrical faces:

REM Set face colors
        displayModification1 = theSession.DisplayManager.NewDisplayModification()
        displayModification1.ApplyToAllFaces = False
        displayModification1.NewColor = 17

For i = 0 To holeObjects.Count - 1
            Dim k As Integer = 0
            Dim l As Integer = 0
            Dim adjFaceTag(l) As Tag
            Dim origAdjFacesTag() As Tag
            Dim nextAdjFacesTag() As Tag
            Dim checkFace As Tag
            Dim done As Boolean
            Dim found As Boolean
            Dim dispObj(k) As DisplayableObject

dispObj(k) = CType(NXObjectManager.Get(holeObjects(i).Tag), DisplayableObject)
            adjFaceTag(l) = holeObjects(i).Tag
            theUfSession.Modl.AskAdjacFaces(holeObjects(i).Tag, origAdjFacesTag)
            For j = 0 To origAdjFacesTag.Length - 1
                done = False
                checkFace = origAdjFacesTag(j)
                l += 1
                ReDim Preserve adjFaceTag(l)
                adjFaceTag(l) = checkFace
                While Not done
                    theUfSession.Modl.AskAdjacFaces(checkFace, nextAdjFacesTag)
                    If nextAdjFacesTag.Length = 1 Then
                        k += 1
                        ReDim Preserve dispObj(k)
                        dispObj(k) = CType(NXObjectManager.Get(checkFace), DisplayableObject)
                        done = True
                    ElseIf nextAdjFacesTag.Length = 2 Then
                        For n = 0 To 1
                            found = False
                            For m = 0 To adjFaceTag.Length - 1
                                If adjFaceTag(m) = nextAdjFacesTag(n) Then
                                    found = True
                                End If
                            Next
                            If Not found Then
                                k += 1
                                ReDim Preserve dispObj(k)
                                dispObj(k) = CType(NXObjectManager.Get(checkFace), DisplayableObject)
                                l += 1
                                ReDim Preserve adjFaceTag(l)
                                adjFaceTag(l) = nextAdjFacesTag(n)
                                checkFace = nextAdjFacesTag(n)
                            End If
                        Next
                    Else
                        done = True
                    End If
                End While
            Next
            displayModification1.Apply(dispObj)
        Next

Master
Master

Use face vector and normal to find out it is a hole or boss face.

Hole face all vectors show to center axis.

Boss face all vectors show away from center axis.

Use face normal vector and face radius as vector scale to check vector shows to vector axis.

If not, it is a boss.

Btw. also the radius size is a indicator for holes or not. (depends on your company work)

You should also test holes that are drilled true each other.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Here's a quick function that I wrote to test if the cylindrical face is a "hole" face or a "boss" face. I've not done extensive testing, but so far it seems to work OK. If anyone finds a case where it doesn't work, please let me know.

Function IsHoleFace(ByVal cylindricalFace As Face) As Boolean

'distinguish between a hole face and a boss face
        'hole face: face normal points toward the face axis
        'boss face: face normal points away from the face axis

'ask face type
        Dim faceType As Integer
        theUfSession.Modl.AskFaceType(cylindricalFace.Tag, faceType)
        Select Case faceType
            Case Is = UFConstants.UF_MODL_CYLINDRICAL_FACE
                'so far, so good
            Case Else
                Return False
        End Select

'find cylindrical face axis and point on the axis
        Dim axisPt(2) As Double
        Dim axisDir(2) As Double
        Dim bbox(5) As Double
        Dim faceMajorRadius As Double
        Dim faceMinorRadius As Double
        Dim normalReversed As Integer
        theUfSession.Modl.AskFaceData(cylindricalFace.Tag, faceType, axisPt, axisDir, bbox, faceMajorRadius, faceMinorRadius, normalReversed)

'get a u,v location and corresponding point on the face given the point on the axis
        Dim faceParm(1) As Double
        Dim faceParmPt(2) As Double
        theUfSession.Modl.AskFaceParm(cylindricalFace.Tag, axisPt, faceParm, faceParmPt)

'get face normal at point on face, use the face point from the AskFaceParm function call
        Dim u1(2) As Double
        Dim u2(2) As Double
        Dim v1(2) As Double
        Dim v2(2) As Double
        Dim faceNorm(2) As Double
        Dim principalRadii(1) As Double
        theUfSession.Modl.AskFaceProps(cylindricalFace.Tag, faceParm, faceParmPt, u1, v1, u2, v2, faceNorm, principalRadii)

'create vector from axis to surface normal point
        'a "boss" face surface normal will point in the same direction
        'a "hole" face surface normal will point in the opposite direction
        Dim bossVec(2) As Double
        bossVec(0) = faceParmPt(0) - axisPt(0)
        bossVec(1) = faceParmPt(1) - axisPt(1)
        bossVec(2) = faceParmPt(2) - axisPt(2)

'is normal facing away from axis (boss) or is normal facing toward axis (hole)?
        Dim normAngle As Double
        theUfSession.Vec3.AngleBetween(faceNorm, bossVec, axisDir, normAngle)

If normAngle > 0.1 Then
            'hole face, surface normal points toward cylindrical face axis
            Return True
        Else
            'boss face, surface normal points away from cylindrical face axis
            Return False
        End If

End Function

Master
Master

I recomand to use measure distance of tow points on same section in vector direction using vector scale of the radius.

// *		 ^
	// *           __|_   
	// *         /	 |  \
	// *      <-|- > *  |
	// *       / \ ___ /
	// *      /       /
	// *     /  *    /
	// *     \ _ _  /
	// *