cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color mapping similar to "thickness by color"

Pioneer
Pioneer

Currently I am importing inspection points, and then creating arrows (UFs.Disp.LabeledConehead) using the point vector and varying the length and color to indicate deviation. This works, but is not always visually easy to see part condition.

I'm wondering if there is a way to to paint the model to create a color map, rather than using the arrows. Perhaps something similar to using thickness by color in manufacturing? I don't know of a way to change color on the model aside from applying it to an entire face.

Hopefully somebody has an idea for some direction I can take. For now, I'm sticking with the arrows.

Thanks!!

4 REPLIES

Re: Color mapping similar to "thickness by color"

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure how NX does it, but one way to do this is to create a faceted model from the BRep solid, then change the facet face colors.

Not sure if this will work for your situation.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

In the UI, this display is called the "Face Analysis" rendering style. I don't know if there is an API, but internally this is known as a "fringe plot", so I would also search for that.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There are numerous temporary display symbols supported in Snap.Draw.DrawMarker and NXOpen.UF.UFDisp.DisplayTemporaryPoint. Some of them might be more easily visible than a conehead. The Snap documentation has a table of pictures showing the commonly-used ones. Specifically, BigFilledSquare or BigAsterisk might be useful to you.

Or, if you really want a deluxe display, you can create a lot of tiny bounded planes and color those however you please. This will be slow if you have thousands of them, though.

山田
yamada

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the suggestions. I couldn't find anything on face analysis that I could do programmatically. I'll have to stick with temporary symbols probably, for now. I don't like that certain functions (like measurment) cause the screen to refresh and I lose all the temp symbols, then have to wait for them to be recreated.

I don't see a way to create a faceted model aside from exporting and importing...is their a way to do it internally?