cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy component and its constraints

Creator
Creator

Is there a practical way to copy components with their constraints in NX10? I prefer Java but can likely work with other languages.

I have been trying to develop a tool to repeat components in an assembly. Remembered constraints are nice but not nearly as efficient as copying components can be.

Is there something similar to the code below but for constraints?

workPart.componentAssembly().copyComponents(compsToCopy);

2 REPLIES

Re: Copy component and its constraints

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

I do not really see what you are trying to accomplish.

If you would copy and paste a component with the same constraints, to what would you want the contraints to hookup to on the other end?

Pasting it to the same objects would position your copy to the exact position as the original.

To my opinion, you would need some user interaction to tell it where you want to constrain it too.

Regards,

Gerrit Koelewijn

Re: Copy component and its constraints

Creator
Creator

You are right; by itself this wouldn't be useful. Ultimately I am trying to change one reference of one constraint, while leaving everything else the same. (ProE called this "repeat" years ago)

Imagine I have a plate with many slotted holes and need to place a bolt through each one. The touch constaint on the plate stays the same for each one but the threaded hole changes. Using remembered constraints I have to pick both references and I have a dialog interrupting me between placements. Also, I would prefer the remembered constraint on a bolt be a concentric constraint.

The attached video shows a boss being placed with a journal that is editted to only ask for a face while duplicating the constraint that is not changing. This is many times faster than remembered constraints. The problem is that this journal is only usable in this exact scenerio because I can't figure out a generic copy for components and constraints.

THANK YOU,

Shawn