Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Create Wavelink geometry with component not in assembly structure

Hi All,

I have to create a wavelink body of component which is not in assembly structure for testing purpose.

I tried the following.

1) Assy.prt is the main assembly file and has Model1.prt as component added to it.

2) Created a block in Model1.prt, saved it.

3) Created a wave link body in Assy.prt using Wave geometry linker dialog and by selecting block from Model1.prt

This creates a linked body from Model1.prt which is part of assembly.

I deleted the Model1.prt and the link was broken, as expected!

Now I have to achieve a result where I have a link body in Assy.prt but with no component (Model1.prt) in assembly. 

How do I achieve this? Any material/Document link which explains this will also be helpful

Regards,

Faisal

11 REPLIES

Re: Create Wavelink geometry with component not in assembly structure

Do the same thing that you did interactively.  Add component, create link and delete the component.  You could record a journal and tweak it to acheive the result.

This is part of manual testing. Automation shall follow at later stages.
As of now, I just want to manually have a linked body in an assembly file without any component.
The only issue I am facing now is that the link is broken when I delete the part. I want the link to be intact.
May be I have to unload the component rather than deleting from the assembly tree. But I am unable to achieve that result even manually.

To my knowledge I do not think it is possible to have a linked body without broken link without a component.

Other option of unloading the component should work.  After creating the link just close the component part.  Next time while opening the assembly part, use 'load structure only'.  This will still maintain the link.

The normal Wave Geometry Linker needs an assembly to create and maintain links. There is a special WAVE License. With this you can start a WAVE Mode in the context menue of the Assembly Navigator. When you started the Wave Mode you can create Wave Links within the context menue (Assembly Navigator) of the part. You don't need an assembly for the link. The association exists only between the origin and the copy.

Regards André

You have two parts (we'll call them A and B) and want to wavelink a body from B into A. Create a new file to use as a temporary assembly and add both A and B as components. Make A the work part and wave link the body from B. You now have a linked body in A but no component. You can now delete the assembly file if you wish, it isn't strictly necessary; but you will need an assembly to edit the existing link or create new ones.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Faisal
‎07-20-2016 02:59 AM

But consider, that a temporary assembly only works with a native NX session. With Teamcenter you need the assembly in which the link was created, because Teamcenter knows the link between the origin, target and assembly part.

Regards André

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Faisal
‎07-20-2016 02:59 AM

True, TC won't let you delete the assembly when you are done. You will end up with an assembly file in TC; but the concept is the same. Perhaps we should call it an 'extra' assembly or a 'link' assembly rather than a 'temporary' assembly if you are working with TC.

Thanks! That was very helpful. Definitely the solution I was looking for.

I do have an extra assembly file but it is working. Thanks!