Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create symbolic threads in non-associative holes (VB.net & NX10)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey!

Is it possible to go through all holes of a non-associative part with specific predefined diameters ( for e.g. bore diameter 6,8 for an M8 thread and so on...) and automatically create a symbolic thread on all of this holes?

I´m relatively new to VB.net and journaling but I´m learning... in my research, I found some journals which automatically colored specific diameters, which is helpful but I don´t know if there´s a command in NXOpen to create symbolic threads. 

In my company, we work with non-associative parts and therefore it would be very time-saving if that would be possible.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Create symbolic threads in non-associative holes (VB.net & NX10)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Kev17 ,

Welcome to Community!

When you record a journal in NX, supported features/commands are displayed with small green square. While recording a Thread operation, you can notice that an icon is not there meaning the command is not supported. I think which also means you can't automate this scenario in any way.

Regards,
Samadhan

GTAC | NX Help: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!
Highlighted

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

The legacy thread feature did not support journaling yet and in such cases you should check the Open C API Reference to find UF_MODL_create_symb_thread which is supposed to create the legacy thread feature.
See also nx_api683 - Sample Open C API program : create and edit symbolic thread

For .NET you need to port the code and call the UF Wrapper UFModl.CreateSymbThread method instead.

Here is vb code snippet.  If you look up SymbThreadData in ufmodl  you will see all the fields exposed. 

Dim threaddata As UFModl.SymbThreadData = Nothing
threaddata.cyl_face = threadfacetag
threaddata.start_face = startfacetag
threaddata.axis_direction = dirdbl
threaddata.form = threadstandard
threaddata.callout = threadcallout
threaddata.method = "CUT"
threaddata.angle = "60"
threaddata.include_instances = UFConstants.UF_MODL_NO_INSTANCES
threaddata.rotation = UFConstants.UF_MODL_RIGHT_HAND
threaddata.length_flag = UFConstants.UF_MODL_FIXED_LENGTH threaddata.length = threaddepthstring
threaddata.tapered = UFConstants.UF_MODL_NON_TAPERED
threaddata.num_starts = 1
threaddata.tapped_dia = tapdiastring

Try
      ufs.Modl.CreateSymbThread(threaddata, threadtag)
Catch ex As Exception
       MsgBox("error creating thread")
End Try

Dim threadfeat As Feature
 threadfeat = NXObjectManager.Get(threadtag)

Hope this helps

Frank Swinkels