cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current "Role" info

Phenom
Phenom

NX 9

I still have one user at another site, that is having issues with his keyboard shortcuts, and role not sticking.

I know the keyboard shortcuts are stored in the user.mtx, I can find them in mine when I add or remove a shortcut.  Where is the current role saved?  I know I can go into customize, roles, and see the last applied role, but I'd like to be able to check the other user, without having to ask them to do it.  Basically, I want to monitor the user.mtx and maybe some other file, to see if the data is being written as it should.

LastAppliedRole.jpg

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
14 REPLIES

Re: Current "Role" info

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you have UGII_USER_PROFILE_DIR set, then it is included in that folder.

If not, it is included in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Siemens\NX100 for NX 10.0 for instance.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Phenom
Phenom

So if you change your role from the default, the sub folder "roles" is created?  and it's not just created when you edit, and save a role? 

-Dave

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The roles folder contains only the saved roles.

The user MTX file is located in the parent folder of the roles folder.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Phenom
Phenom

Searching the user.mtx, I'm not seeing anything with "role" in it, relateing to the users current role.  I've tried "current" too...what else could this entry be called?

-Dave

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Have you looked in the registry? (regedit)

For NX10 it would be:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\NX\10.0

I would suggest saving that entire tree in a .REG file and searching in that (although you can search in regedit as well)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

NX can't tell you what role is currently in use because it doesn't know. The "user.mtx" file contains the current state of the user's UI. When a user applies a role, the saved customizations are applied to the current UI; at this point, you could say that you are using role "X". As soon as you customize the UI in some way, you are no longer using that role, you are using a custom role. You can save the changes you made to a new role, but until you do, you are using a custom, unsaved role. NX can only tell you the last saved role that you applied.

Phenom
Phenom

But it seems to remember the last applied role, per the image I posted, which I now see is in the registry, in my case:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\NX\9.0\Layout\LastRole

Since this is a registry thing, I don't think it's going to help me figure out why this users role change, and keyboard shortcuts aren't being retained.

I have determined via IT that he has permissions to write to this directory structure, and his history_ugmgr.pax, and history.pax are being updated.  His user.mtx was saved after the time he said he created the keyboard shortcuts, along with the DialogMemory.dlx, and nx_mru.txt.

Very strange.

-Dave

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

DaveK wrote:

I have determined via IT that he has permissions to write to this directory structure, and his history_ugmgr.pax, and history.pax are being updated.  His user.mtx was saved after the time he said he created the keyboard shortcuts, along with the DialogMemory.dlx, and nx_mru.txt.

So there seems to be the save layout at the end of session being disabled or has problems.

Can you check the user mtx file with a xml editor if it is corrupt through xml validation?

Phenom
Phenom

That's it, the file just ends, without closing or finishing.

-Dave